Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YYIIPPEE, I have found her!!!

ok here goes:

A relative of mine gave me details of her parents (my grandparents) younger lives and in it stated that my greatgranmother was a very unkind woman and died (she believed) when my grandfather was 10.

I also remember reading somewhere that she was taken into a an asylum.

Anyway I have been trying to find this woman for ages but couldnt find a lady of her name dying near where they lived. I checked FREEBMD last Saturday 3rd Jan and found a very good possibility, so ordered the cert. I havent ordered certs in such a long time.

Yesterday the cert arrived and it is definitely her!!!. I didnt ask for any checking references but it gives the correct name of her husband and his address in the area they lived in on the 1901 census. She died in a Mental Hospital of Exhaustion from Carcinoma of breast of about 6 years. My Grandfather was actually aged 19 at the time.

Now when does the 1911 census reappear, because I need to check the address to see if he was living there at that then.
    Last edited by Fi & Lilly; 19-01-09, 15:40.
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Congratulations on sorting it out....it is excellent when you can solve a family mystery.

Comment

Well done! Getting a positive outcome, like that, to an experiment is sooooo pleasing!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Fi & Lilly View Post
        ok here goes:

A relative of mine gave me details of her parents (my grandparents) younger lives and in it stated that my greatgranmother was a very unkind woman and died (she believed) when my grandfather was 10.

Poor woman if she had been suffering from breast cancer all that time to the extent it had affected her mental health its perhaps not surprising she was less than kind to others.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Well done Fi!

I remember when Freebmd stopped in around 1890!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The 1911 returns around 19 Jan 2009 but it's not all counties and they will be adding those as they are completed.

Comment

It may be she was committed to an asylum when the boy was ten.

It was very common for children/neighbours etc, to be told that the adult had died, as the shame of mental health problems was so overwhelming. Mental health problems could also explain her cruelty.

OC

Comment

hey guess what I thought I already had my Great Grandfather's death cert, but now knowing they still lived in the area for at least 20 - 25 years I checked FreeBMD for him again. And what would you know I have found his refs too.

Looking at the certs and details I already have for this family between 1898 and 1930, they moved quite a few times but they didnt go far at all. I have found a map that has 3 streets they lived in between 1906 and 1926.

And thanks to Buttercup from over the way I have pictures of 3 of the houses they lived in too. I wonder if he moved between his wife's death and his. And whats more I am guessing they are buried or were cremated in Brompton Cemetery - just down the road from where they lived for approximately 30 years.

I wonder if I can find Richard Woods birth now. He has been a right pain in the wotsit!
                Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

I just realised that I did find them when the 1911 was on beta version and she was still living with them then at the same house they lived in 1906, my Grandfather would have been 4 at the time of the census.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I am a happy bunny right now.
                  Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

I have today come home to find my Great Grandfather's death cert on my door mat which I ordered on 11/1/09 (Sunday). Wow that is very quick especially as they send them out 2nd class.

He had moved since his wife died 5 years earlier but I find that the informant (My Grandfather who was single at the time ) was actually living in his fathers old address.

I am off to check whether his address was in walking distance of his old address as is the pattern of his previous addresses since 1898.
                    Last edited by Fi & Lilly; 16-01-09, 19:41.
                    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

Well done Fi. Sounds like a major breakthrough.

I feel for your ggrandma. Sounds like she had a terrible life. And it would make it hard for her family as well.
                      Kit

Comment

Oh well done Fi, great to break down a few brick walls isn't it?
                        Viv
                        xxx
                        ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

I am on a roll.

As you will have read in this thread I have recently got 2 death certs.

They lived in Fulham and very near Brompton Cemetery.

Anyway I have been off sick from work today and decided to call Brompton. The man searched his database (free) but they were not buried there. I asked if he could advise me of any other cemeteries, he informed me of one and I called the Council that ran it. There was no reply but I left a message explaining I was researching my family history and was looking for burials.

Shirley from the Cemteries department at Hammersmith and Fulham called me back.

She asked for their names and the dates of death and low and behold she found them.

They are both in separate paupers graves and she gave me the grave details. It turns out I drive past the cemetery every time I visit my mum and it is just up the road from my favourite researching place - the National Archives!

Shirley is emailing me a plan of the cemetery and when I am next of work for my weeks holiday I will be going there. I cant wait.

I didnt need to pay a penny. Thank you Shirley from Fulham and Hammersmith!!!
                          Last edited by Fi & Lilly; 19-01-09, 15:58.
                          Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

That's so good, isn't it! These people who go the extra mile to help us out. The ones who are not jobsworths.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Wonderful news Fi.

A paupers grave always makes me a bit sad. Makes you wonder what sort of lives they must have had.
                              Kit

Comment

Ooooo Fi

Would you mind pming me Shirley's contact dets or the cemetery phone no as OH's great granddad may be buried there! It's too far for us to travel & may give a clue as to who arranged his funeral etc.

Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

I am still on a high from my recent findings. Joan how did you get on with Hammersmith and Fullham today?
                                  Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

Oh Fi,

That's great, bet you can't wait for a weekend not too long away now;)

Anne xx

Comment

Its great that you have cracked a brick wall. I had the same problem with my grand mothers brother William Mckegg. I knew he had died in Hammersmith London in 1970 so i sent for his death cert. What i got back was his death cert saying he had died on New Years Eve 1969 at an address which was not his own. He was of no fixed abode so the cert said.
                                      Anyway with the advice of friends on here i e-mail Hammersmith Council and the very next day i recieved a reply telling me when and Where he was buried along with a map of the cemetery and a cross placed on it marking the spot where he was buried.
                                      I totally agree that it is a great refreshing change for someone and a department will bend over backwards and go that extra mile to help.
                                      A massive round of applause for Hammersmith Council.
                                      Now i know how and when he died i now have to try and fill in the rest of his life this year.
                                      Vanessa Tallon passed away September 2011

Comment

Working...
                                      X