Lost brother of Grandma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost brother of Grandma

I wonder if anyone can find my grandma's borther?
    Born Thomas Broddle (should have been Broddel) 5/3/1880 at Grimsby
    1881 census 1 yr old living at Lincoln
    1891 census 13 living at Rixton with Glazebrook Lancs
    Then he disappears.
    Father Charles was a worker on the railways, mostly a navvy but in 1891 was working on the Manchester Ship Canal. After that they moved across Eengland working on the railways in lancs, West Yorks, over to near Worksop in Notts cack to Yorks, Doncaster and surrounding areas.
    1914 the family were in Bolton moving into Nottingham, first at Long Eaton then Broad Marsh at the end of the war.
    I have checked all the Bms' the WW1 records, tried for sailing abroad but could only find 1 entry 1891 for a Mr and Mrs Broddle but when looked at the actual document at the TNA the pair had been crossed off.
    He seems to have vanished off the face of the earth.
    Would the railway companies have had their own documents?
    Any help would be very much appreicated.
    i did find one possible marriage for a Thomas Broddle living in the south of England born in Lincs but not him as as was able to go further back with this guy.
    Thanks
    pauline

By 1901 Thomas would be 23 and working anywhere. IF he worked for the railways they would have records but you'd need to know which railway company before you could look for him and I don't think the records would tell you much anyway.

Just wondering if you'd tried other likely mistranscriptions like Brodie?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have tried most combinations but will have another go, he has been put on hold for quite a while.

Comment

I've tried the tricks I know, and can't get him to appear. I haven't actually tried:
        a] inverting the name: surname in first name box, and v.v.
        b] initials only (e.g. in institution of some kind)

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine,
          i shall disappear for a short time while I try that, i did wonder if he ran away to sea, (being as they were working on the Manchester Ship Canal when he was a boy)

Comment

I did find this one - after spotting a possible 1892 Dorset marriage (admittedly, he'd be excessively young as a groom!):
            Class: RG13; Piece: 1996; Folio: 112; Page: 24

but he's 33 b Withern Alford - which is much nearer Mablethorpe than Grimsby, so not a very good match at all.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Had a quick look in emigration records, and couldn't see anything definitive there, either.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                I did find this one - after spotting a possible 1892 Dorset marriage (admittedly, he'd be excessively young as a groom!):
                Class: RG13; Piece: 1996; Folio: 112; Page: 24

but he's 33 b Withern Alford - which is much nearer Mablethorpe than Grimsby, so not a very good match at all.

Christine
                Yes had a good look at this but can trace hime back, in fact sent for marriage cert. and it was wrong.

Comment

There's a Thomas Christopher Broddle marriage on FreeBMD in 1903, Grimsby
                  Hail Spode!

Comment

I had sort of the same problem. My Grand father was the youngest of 6. The eldest born
                    William was on the 1881 census aged 9 and again on the 1891 sensus aged 19, then he disappeared. I found his baptism which was a week after his sister born in 1873. I never thought much of this but at least I was happy that he wasn't made up !!

William also registered the death of his father one week before the 1891 census and the death certificate says "son" as informant. I was still puzzled however that I'd never found a Birth Certificate, I tried spelling variances of the surname, and also tried his middle name as the family have a habit of using different forenames - nothing.

The parent were married on Xmas day 1871, so my thought he was born in 1872 and just left it there.

For years I hadn't even tried the female line and when I looked at the 1871 census William's mother was living next door to his "father". I came up with the idea of looking under the maiden name and under the DEc Qtr for 1871 a name was listed. I got the certificate and low and behold, it was him - father unknown born 1 month before the christmas marriage. I then found out he married under his mother's maiden name and all his children used this name.
                    Last edited by poytheboy; 11-01-09, 17:50.
                    David

I
                    Don't always claim to be right, but I'm never wrong.

Comment

If this is the same chappy then this might be of interest

RootsWeb: ENG-LINCSGEN-L [LIN] SMITH/ALLISON/BLANCHARD/BOSWELL/BOWEN/BROCKLESBY/BROWNE/DAVISON & DAWSON

I cant find Thomas in 1901 using all the tricks up my sleeve though either.

Edit - Maybe not. Someone on ancestry family trees has that Thomas with parents Henry and Elizabeth. :(
                      Last edited by guybrush; 11-01-09, 18:10.
                      Hail Spode!

Comment

Thanks everyone, there are lots of Broddle-Broddels at Grimsby but don't think theres any connection. Mine was just plain Thomas.
                        Dave- my granddad was never registered (not this guy) he was illigitmate and it was kept a secret for most of his life.
                        Pauline

Comment

Working...
                        X