Prison records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prison records?

Does anyone know how you go about finding out if someone was in prison between 1901 & 1911?

Thanks!

Joanie

I have access to the Gale 19th Century British Library Newspapers which I notice goes up to 1913 for some papers!

Who is it?

Comment

There you are lol!!!

Charles Joshua Hoyle. It's likely to have been Yorkshire or somewhere near there but could have been London cos he died there in 1933! Lol

Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

Joan

do you have any idea what the crime was? It might not be reported in The Times.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

No entries after 1900 :(

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            Joan

do you have any idea what the crime was? It might not be reported in The Times.
            No Nell I am guessing he may have been a bad boy lol!!

He wasn't living with his wife in 1911. He married her in 1901 after the census, his father on the marriage cert was just "Hoyle" :(

We know she upped sticks & went to live with another man by 1915 though!

I suppose he could have been in the army but unlikely I think

Joanie

Comment

Maybe he was ill? In hospital? Just enumerated by his initials? Or perhaps he deserted her first and was living elsewhere.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You would probably have a better chance of finding his crime from the local newspaper to the area where you think he committed a crimel. But you would have to do a trawl of about 10 years if you do not know the date or even whether he committed a crime or not and that could be quite a daunting task. If there was a crime committed then the local paper would most probably have it, and if there was a trial you would find more. But few local newspapers have been digitised so.....

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 11-01-09, 18:19.

Comment

Working...
                X