Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ireland interest only. How far back have you managed to get in Irish Research?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland interest only. How far back have you managed to get in Irish Research?

As so many on here are interested in Irish research, I am wondering how far back people have managed to get in researching their Irish ancestors and have they done their research purely on the IGI, or through the Parish Registers in Dublin? What other means have you used to further your research? If found on the IGI are these post 1864 or pre 1864?

To start the ball rolling:

I have two mainlines back to 1798 in Tipperary whence the RC registers begin so getting further back is not very hopeful, but to further my research in the area I belong to the Tipperary Historical Society and have used the Griffiths Valuations to great advantage. I have one mainline name which is fairly unusual and does go back to the 1600's in Co Meath but I cannot find a possible link from Tipperary to Co Meath because the documents are simply not around to be able to find links. I have also researched newspapers of Tipperary and land records.

One mainline ancestor moved to Cork City in the 1850's and I have used the Griffiths Valuation and 1901 and 1911 census to find out more. By belonging to the Cork Genealogical Society I have found lines stretching out into Cork County and again have read around the areas extensively.

I have also used Kew TNA for finding Royal Irish Constabulary and Overseas Army Registers for finding army marriages and births. I have used the LDS at Kensington but have not found this of use pre 1864.

Of my 200 or so ancestors that I have found in Ireland so far, only about 10 are on the IGI, so I would not have got very far with the Irish IGI. Most of my pre 1864 ancestors that is the parish records, have been found through Cork Library and Dublin National Library as most of mine are RC.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 10-01-09, 18:50.

Just to get the ball rolling a bit further......

Fell at the first hurdle as the 1895ish birth cert we wanted doesn't exist and without this we cannot proceed! lol Hopefully, when the whole of the 1901/11 censuses are available online something might knock down this brick wall :(

Comment

I have found some baptisms 1830-1840 Co.Down for one line out of at least 8 that are from Ireland, but hope that this will increase when I get chance to visit LDS centre a little more often as I am sure there must be more info available. I have a few highly likelies to follow up re Griffiths Valuaions and directories.

...And several baptisms from IGI that are mine in Co.Louth. 1830-40 also.
      ;) Helen x

Comment

I have one Irish great-grandparent and three GG-grandparents, and unfortunately all but one have very common Irish names. In one case I knew the town of birth (from his Australian death cert), but in another case only the county. The furthest back I've got so far (using the LDS microfilm of RC parish records) is a marriage in 1836 and some baptisms around the same date in the same parish. There's a 10-year gap in the registers exactly around the time my GG-grandparents were probably born. With the names being common and knowing no more than the parish, Griffiths hasn't helped so far. I didn't find any of them on the Irish IGI.

Comment

I found a Birth record on the IGI for three children of a couple, in Dublin, I am 99% sure are those belonging to my GG Grandparents. One with just "Female" I believe to be my G Grandmother, although without a baptism I cannot prove it. It is a gut instinct that this is the right family. I have this couples marriage certificate which I paid a researcher in Cork to find.

Have found some of the children on the Dublin 1911 Census.

Have found other info from a contact with the same family and it all fits, however can't get any further back.

Would love to go to Ireland and do some research but can't afford it!
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Janet,

I've not started to research my Irish ancestors yet as when I started this about 4/5 years ago Irish records were not widely available online....And a trip to Ireland at that time was out the question!! (Still is for the time being with this credit crunch!!)

I noticed you have ancestors in Cork and Tipperary - Did you go over to Ireland to research these or did you find records online?

Comment

Hi Janet

As most of my lines are Irish or lead to Irish as my mum and dad are of Irish birth I have had no choice but to delve into the research head on.

My dad's side has proved easier as we are all from Belfast Northern Ireland and I have at the moment managed to get back to the early 1800's by using the internet to great extent and also using my cousins in Belfast to do some research on my behalf.

My mother's side has proved very daunting as all her family are from Dublin and I hadnt even started on them untill very recently, but I have had quite a bit of success with the 1911 Dublin census. Also my mum's family still live in Dublin and they are very happy to take on some errands for me and send it over. I have managed to get back to my 3x Gt Grandparents in Dublin which is mid-1800's.

I have just booked 4days in Dublin in February so i can see my family and also (if i can) do some family history.

Danny
              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Definite, 1860s, this same line possibly, 1760s, tantalizing hints in Griffiths valuations and in flax growers records. If I could afford to go over it would be great, I'll just have to be patient.

Comment

One pair of gt-gdparents were Irish -that's about the sum total of my knowledge!
                  As they gave "Galway" as pob in census, that's about as helpful as their previous declaration of "Ireland" - LOL Galway could be either city or county!

From 1871 census I know HIS mother was named Catherine, and from UK RC bp entries, I know HER maiden name was Dunn.

So for starters, I need a marriage for Michael McDonough and Julia Dunn, somewhere in Ireland (hopefully Co Galway) 1858 - 1860 - presumably RC as not in the index at Joyce House.
                  I reckon that's going to need a seat reservation for a full week.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Deb

I have been doing my Irish research since 1991 so back then there was nothing online, and so have done most in Ireland and to be quite honest, unlike English/Scottish/Welsh records even since online records for Ireland I have hardly furthered my research. When I was researching Tipperary in Ireland these registers were closed to the public so it was a very hit and run effort to get anything but now since June 2008 the Cashel and Emly Registers are now open so you can now research these in Dublin. Trouble is now I do not know when I can next get to Dublin!

Wendy

What year did you find yours on the IGI?

For everybody

What I am really trying to find out is if anybody has found anything on the IGI have you found the records AFTER 1864 or BEFORE 1864 as my understanding is that most IGI relates to AFTER 1864 but it would be interesting to see who has found anything on the IGI BEFORE 1864.

Also if you have anything that will help others to research further then we would all be pleased to know.

Janet in Yorks

1858 to 1860 is parish records and so yes they will be either at Dublin National Library(RC) or National Archives(Protestant) As 85% were RC possibly RC, but may not be, as 15% were Protestant so....

Quiffdo has mentioned getting back to 1800 in Belfast and I am suspecting it is easier to get back in Northern Ireland online than it is in Southern Ireland. Certainly it is about to get a lot easier for Northern Ireland as many records are being opened up in the Catalogue sometime in January at PRONI so you Northern Irelanders will be very happy bunnies shortly.

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 10-01-09, 19:13.

Comment

I managed to get death cert, marriage cert and birth cert from Belfast (N. Ireland GRO / Belfast Register Office) all from around the time of WW1 and also found the burial info online at the Ulster Historical Foundation site. But that was just a couple of my rellies who went over to Belfast from England.

As for my Irish ancestors, I haven't got very far with them. My g-grandmother was born in Ireland in 1869 and I know who her parents were from her marriage cert, censuses etc. and her parents got married in India, so I have info about her father's father from their marriage cert but all I have is my 2xg-grandfather was John Galway born about 1828 in County Antrim, and his father was Robert Galway. At some point John decided to give himself Robert as a middle name.

And OH's Irish line is a similar brick wall - a family of Slopers came over from County Down, and their father was Simon Sloper, a Master Weaver, but I've not been able to find any record of him. Simon jr married (in England) a Christina Stephenson, also from County Down, but all I know about her family is her father was William Stephenson, a farmer, which doesn't help much.

So, I'm hoping some of the online stuff that is going to be put up over the next few years will help with some of these.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Janet the records on the IGI were 1864 onwards. Nothing further back at all.
                        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Mine on IGI were submitted by LDS member, but I have since had confirmation from the transcribed records from another site, and now have seen the LDS film for Castletown Parish, Dundalk, Co.Louth.

If you are interested in Co.Down there is a really helpful group called County Down genealogy, on yahoo groups, they are very friendly and lots of help.
                          ;) Helen x

Comment

Thanks Wendy.

Lovettpod

What date did you find yours on the IGI?

I would really love to know if anybody has found records on IGI BEFORE 1864?

Janet

Comment

If you look at the Hugh Wallis batch numbers, some pre-1864 registers are included - in Louth, for example.

Counties in Ireland

Comment

Janet 1830-1840
                                ;) Helen x

Comment

Partner's mother (born in Ireland) is in possession of a very nicely presented family tree, which is also very comprehensive. However, it only goes back until the late 1700's, as the family were RC and so there are no earlier parish records to refer to.
                                  It was sent to Mum by her cousin, and seems very well researched up to that point, backed up with references and including family anecdotes, bits from newspapers etc. (Cousin is a TD, so I suspect it may have been done for him by a professional researcher.)

What made me titter was their Neville line, which is meticulously traced back to the late 1700's. So far so good, but there then follows a note that both Richard III's wife and mother belonged to the Neville family.(Only about 300 years earlier!!) The tree launches into a pedigree of the Nevilles, but does acknowledge that the link is "as yet speculative, due to the lack of a consistent system of record keeping." - Yeah, dream on Mr TD!! Or perhaps it's the Irish blarney.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Difficult one to answer.....

About 1866 on one of my mums lines..... Great Great grandparents on mums dads side and nearly the same on her mums side although one GGM is missing at the mo.... I think her dad and his side is going to be a nightmare...*sigh* problem is my nan wants to know more about her dad..

A good bit of the research centres around Cavan and has very popular names for the county..... Brady, Fitzpatrick, Lee.......arrrghhhhh! There wouldn't be a Cavan if there wasn't Bradys and there's tribes of them! few unusual names either! Plenty of Marys Patricks Johns and Josephs......

Found nans mum in the 1911 census of Northern Ireland which I must post to her and mums cousin is sending me some copies of certs.

On hubbies side it's going to be slower work. no one around to ask, but I will get there because of the surname Peppard, need to sort out getting some certs there. Gut reaction they will be an interesting bunch just as much as his mums side is and unlike mine!

LDS at Hyde park has been a gem when it's come to Irish research I've had the 1901 and 1911 census for grandads side for a good while. I've also found the Irish Family History Foundation Irish Family History Foundation - Genealogy in Ireland to be such a help although you really need to trust a gut reaction when there is more than one name in one year. I've only had one bad spend of 5 euro. And ususally use it to get a gist before going off to the LDS and getting out fiche

What was lovely was going out in the car with nan this year and seeing where she worked and the tumble down house her nan lived, the graveyards my ancestors are all buried in.

Comment

I found my grandfather GLEESON's family in Rathmore, co Kerry on the IGI....eldest sibling b.1857. Also the marriage of my gt.grandparents at Glen Flesk, co.Kerry 1855.

My gt grandmother's birth (nee HEALY,1839, Clounkeen, co.Kerry) came courtesy of her death cert in the USA, as did the names of her parents (my gt gt grandparents).

My gt grandfathers birth (GLEESON, abt 1820, Kerry) was deduced from his death certificate in 1879. I was able to send for this after locating his date of death in the Casey volumes and confirmed as being my relative by the details engraved on a headstone in the local church graveyard.

I found citations of the family name in Rathmore in the Casey volumes, which are most likely my family, as it is a pretty unusual name in that area, which give me a possible birth in 1793 for what may be my gt gt gt grandmother...but impossible to verify.

The family had left Ireland before the 1901 census but have been able to piece out some details from the USA census collection.

I have found someone I believe to be a second cousin still resident in the area, but because of the emigration, we have been unable to find a definitive link between the two families up to date, although the naming patterns and residential locallity are virtually identical.

My OH's Irish connections (FRIZZELL) were in Letterkenny, co. Donegal. His gt grandmother's marriage in 1874 was found via the records held at the LDS in Kensington, as was the birth of his grandfather.. The marriage cert gave the names of his gt gt grandparents and I found their marriage also at Kensington, for 1847. The birth of his gt gt grandmother (nee SHANNON, 1827, Ballybofay? Stranorlar co.Donegal) and his gt gt grandfather (1825 Drumanaught, Conwal Parish co.Donegal) were located on the IGI, their parents' names being confirmed as those on the marriage cert.

My gt gt grandfather AHERN was born abt 1819 in Shandon Cork. I have this information from his army discharge papers and have no other details about him at all....no knowledge of parents or siblings.

I have not bothered to look for my RYAN gt grandparents as all I have to go on is 'Patrick and Bridget RYAN, b. co. Tipperary. I don't even have a reliable d.o.b for my grandmother, who also complicated matters by being known by two different names. I know who some of her siblings were, but am guessing at others,

Beverley

Comment

Mc Bev

If you ever try Tipperary for Ryan there are many families of Ryan around Thurles in Tipperary but of course Ryan is a difficult name to research with so many of them. Also the Cashel and Emly Diocesan records are now open to the public so that means all of Tipperary and parts of Limerick are now accessible as from June 2008. So those going to Dublin in the near future can research their Tipperary ancestors through Dublin National Library. Gleeson is also a vry popular name in Tipperary. I have both Ryan and Gleeson in my tree from Tipperary.
                                        There are a fair number of parish records and old census for Cork online. Have you tried these as I am sure Shandon is there amongst these records?

So far it looks as though most people cannot go back before 1800 which is what I suspected.

There must be people out there who had landowner ancestors who can go further back?

Janet
                                        Last edited by Janet; 11-01-09, 10:25.

Comment

Working...
                                        X