a problem with scotland's people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a problem with scotland's people

mum and i tried to download the will of my ancestor for my birthday.
    everything was working fine, till scotland's people decided to validate mum's card. it then promptly decided we needed a password to make the transaction work.

problem is, mum doesn't have a password!!
    she's never had one when ordering things online. now, we can't download the will. i am royally p*$@!d off!!

this will is seven pages long and could reveal a lot about this family!! and it's a rotten time, because i have tonsilitus, on my birthday, no less!! i really needed some cheering up.
    has anyone else had this problem?

Is it the visa verification? more and more websites are now using it. Should be easy enough for her to sort out online, there should be some sort of registration button there somewhere. Takes a couple of minutes, it's worth doing it as you're going to need it more and more.

Comment

I think Peppie is right. It should have asked if you wanted to set up the verification there and then.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

It's perhaps because it's an Australian card. UK-based cards will trigger the UK verification process (I had it happen with one of mine the other day).
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have been using Scotlands People and recently the Visa security thing came up. I managed to bypass it twice but not any more.
          I did contact Scotlands People as I have enough trouble remembering passwords but it is out of their control.
          This seems to be a new security system when using credit cards on the net and Visa require a password that includes capital letters and numbers

Comment

There is a similar thing for Master Card, can't remember what it's called. But what I don't get is, if you are in the middle of paying and get sent to the registration page, how do you know it's the genuine page and not some scam? If I got a letter from them in the post telling me the URL to go to etc then I might actually register. As it is I just bypass it each time.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

To check if a webpage is genuine and secure you can look to see if it has a padlock showing either at the start of the address in the top address bar or at the bottom of the page. You can click on the padlock to check it's security certificate. Also they often have https: as the start of the address. Finally IE7 offers a 'phishing' checking service which you can set to automatically check sites.
              If you're worried about signing up through a pop up then you can find Verified by Visa through a google search and sign up that way.

Comment

The other thing I don't get is how it adds security - if you were a fraudster and the registration button appeared, you could just register and set a password anyway, couldn't you?

Kyle, if I were you I would contact Scotland's People to tell them about the problem and hopefully they will sort it out, though you might have to wait until Monday.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I think the registration details have to match the card details, the name, address etc.

Comment

Hope the sore throat gets better soon and the rest of your birthday pressies made up for the difficulty.

Comment

thankyou for the advice everyone. i'll see what i can do.
                      jill, thanx. i did get a folder from my aunt, that was big enough to put family trees and certs in.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        It's perhaps because it's an Australian card. UK-based cards will trigger the UK verification process (I had it happen with one of mine the other day).
                        I've used my Australian Visa and Mastercards several times to pay without any problem - most recently yesterday. When paying it asks you to select your country. The only time i had an issue was when i forgot to select Australia and it asked me to enter details I didn't have.

Comment

i just try to leave the password box blank and click ok or whatever it is, and it immediatley cancels the transaction. i can't bypass this annoying thing.
                          im really not impressed with scotland's people. the one thing i need i can't access. im so off.

plus, i cant see how to contact them about it!!

Comment

I haven't read all of your thread but re contacting Scotlands People -
                            At the bottom of the home page, below the row of little pictures, you will find the words "contact us".
                            Click on this - than at the bottom of the blue box it says " continue here to fill out the contact us form".
                            Scotland's people will usually reply within 24 hours and are very good at getting thing sorted in a pleasant way.
                            I had contact with them this week re an indexing error and they refunded my credits.
                            Good luck and I hope you get sorted.
                            herky
                            herky
                            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                            X