News if you have london rellies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News if you have london rellies

I was checking out opening times for a visit and noted this forgive me if some of you already know.

London Metropolitan Archives and Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section are delighted to announce a new partnership with Ancestryâ„¢ to digitise genealogical sources.

The first records will launch on Ancestry.co.uk in early 2009, with the following prioritised for launch in the coming year:

If you wish to read more check this site
    Digitisation
    GWEN

Gosh, that looks interesting, Gwen.. thanks - I certainly didn't know it!
    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

That looks very interesting, they seems to be so much useful information it might also explain why the price of Ancestry has gone up so much recently....Lilly...;)

Comment

That looks very interesting but I'm sure I recieved the Ancestry newsletter a couple of days ago and it wasn't mentioned there?? Maybe it might be quite later in the year....Exciting news anyway!!!

Comment

I might find out a bit more about my mother's family in Stoke Newington circa 1910 from the electoral rolls. And even possibly my father's family in the Greenwich area around the same time.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Great - I was at the LMA a few weeks ago and someone did say this to me but I hadn't seen it in print anywhere - well the bit about early 2009 that is.

Didn't think they'd be that quick.

Comment

My worser half had loads of London ancestors in the 19thC so this will hopefully be great for him. Just renewed Ancestry, too.

Comment

This is oldish news - I am hoping that it will be launched soon.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Very good news indeed, if you live nearby:

We will provide free access to view the indexes and images through Ancestry.co.uk on the computer terminals in our public rooms.
                  I have 2 relatives that lived in London. I don't know much about their extended families so this may help.
                  Kit

Comment

Well I live and work close to the LMA but I am assuming anyone with an Ancestry subscription will be able to access them at home.

Also if you were actually at the LMA you'd look at the microfilms surely.

Comment

My London rellies have been the branch that causes the problems, i have four kids 1800-1815ish, an unkown mum for them who died pre 1823 and dad died 1823, i have the will and he names his mother but heaven knows if they originate from London or not.

Typical that the online breakthrough i might find is via Ancestry......announced just after i stopped the sub:(
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I am confused as to which parts of London will be covered. I have one line from Westminster & others from Clapham/Lambeth/Battersea & also St Giles/St martin's in the Field. Will any of these areas be included, do you think?
                        Lynn

Comment

As far as I am aware all those places you mention were drawn into the County Councils of London/Middlesex. Westminster, St Giles, St Martins would always have been counted as London.

Clapham, Lambeth and some south London boroughs probably wouldn't have been before 1889, they probably were Surrey etc. But they all come under the County Councils of London/Middlesex and Greater London area now and the LMA hold all the records as far as I am aware. Maybe someone can confirm that. I will confirm that when I visit in person the next time. Also some other outlying areas came under the LMA after 1965.

LMA area map

Also the page where it says about the formation of Greater London.

Last edited by Guest; 11-01-09, 18:42.

Comment

Thanks Maggie, I shall keep my fingers crossed that this might help break down a brickwall or 5 !
                            Lynn

Comment

I think most of the stuff for Westminster is held separately at Westminster City Archives
                              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

:( looking at the map Maggie posted a link to, they don't hold parish records for the white ares, which includes Westminster & Wandsworth
                                Lynn

Comment

As far as I am aware and if I have understood what they have written correctly they hold all the records for the green and white areas (County Councils of London and Middlesex)

I have looked at parish records including marriages, baptisms, deaths from Hackney, Camden, Tower Hamlets and Islington. Also the School Registers for those areas and also the electoral roles and various other documents at the LMA.

It does include Westminster, Clapham (Wandsworth) and Lambeth because they are in the white areas.

The City of London is a very small area and they don't hold those parish registers but that will be Guildhall which will be included in the digitisation program along with the LMA if I have understood their press release correctly.

The Blue, Pink and Yellow are those areas brought into Greater London after 1965. In that case they hold those records from then. Otherwise they come under their respective counties which I believe is Surrey, Kent and Essex.

Edit to say: having looked at the boundaries between Lambeth and Wandsworth I think most of Clapham comes under the London Borough of Lambeth, it gets confusing with old parishes and areas. I'm not that familiar with Clapham I only drive through it to get to my friends house in Tooting. However, Battersea is in the London Borough of Wandsworth.

London Borough of Lambeth | Clapham Town ward map

Likewise I actually live in the London Borough of Hackney but the minute I step off the pavement I'm in Tower Hamlets.

I love the boundary between Hackney and Tower Hamlets up the Hackney Road you can do a hop and skip backwards and forwards all the way to the City of London between both boroughs. I suppose the boundary/border has to be somewhere :D

Please note St Leonards Church, Shoreditch is in the London Borough of Hackney! That's where the border does a few loops again.
                                  Last edited by Guest; 11-01-09, 20:29.

Comment

This is great news for me, I was planning a trip {or 2} to the Guildhall Library later in the year.........hopefully the info I will be researching will be available online by then......

I may finally get some breakthrough with my Critchett clan.....

Nicky

Comment

LMA dont hold the parish records for the City of Westminster or the City of London, you have to go to their archives to view the microfilms unless they have agreed to come in as part of the deal. I used to work for Westminster and 'see any way they would have given them up freely without payment.

Comment

St Leonard's Shoreditch (lovely church) records are at the Guildhall. It was a very popular church, I looked at several pages of baptisms all one one day, I think the vicar must have been exhausted!
                                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                                        X