lack of marriages in this family??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lack of marriages in this family??

good morning...saturday/sunday topic for me is finding some missing marriages(if there were any ) of the children of my gg grandparents in Garston,Liverpool..
    Daniel Oakes married Marianne Merrick in St Michaels church in 1873 ..they had the following children..all born Garston...CFM = CAN`T FIND MARRIAGE
    Thomas Oakes b 1874.....CFM...can`t find marriage
    Ellen Maria Oakes b 1875 ..married Archibald McKenzie
    William Edward Oakes b 1877 married Sophia Satch...my g grandparents
    Daniel Oakes b 1880...married Lucy Lane
    Mary Oakes b 1882...CFM
    Beatrice Oakes b 1884...CFM
    James Oakes b 1885...CFM
    Harriet Oakes b 1888...CFM
    Sarah Oakes..b 1890...CFM
    So I have been on freebmd and put in Oakes mothers maiden name merrick....nothing....Lancashire BMD...2 possibles but only at Liverpool register office....so can anyone give me some advice for researching these marriages..The probability is that they would be registered at West Derby,it will then say Wavertree,St Michaels...I only have 3 out of 9...where are they??...help..and thanks.allan;)
    Last edited by garstonite; 10-01-09, 09:20.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Churches in Liverpool

Hi Allan,
    Have you used this site:http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/index.html
    It's a free site and will list Lpool churches most of which have searchable records but not sure if your dates will be included. It's worth a visit.
    Good Luck.

Comment

So I have been on freebmd and put in Oakes mothers maiden name merrick
      Erm......Allan, if the marriage of Mr Oakes and Miss Merrick was in 1873 they are not going to have still been having children when mmn was added to the indexes in 1911

Comment

Thanks for that Merry...I didn`t know that....but I do now....cheers...allan:o
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Not sure why you are putting MMN in to find marriages of the children.

when you do happen across Beatrice marriage , be aware there were two Beatrice Oakes of the same sort of age, in the area
          Last edited by Jessbowbag; 10-01-09, 11:20.
          Jess

Comment

you know I am thick at this Jess...but I fit the best kitchens and fitted wardrobes in Liverpool...lol...I was at the same time checking all the childrens y.o.b`s...I have their ages as to the census returns but 2 of the children Harriet and Beatrice are actually b a year before I have typed...I find all this so confusing but to construct a Hyperbolic-parabaloid is easy...lol...allan;)

Comment

Oh.............I'll carry on looking, you come & fit me a kitchen - lets trade skills here!
              Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                Oh.............I'll carry on looking, you come & fit me a kitchen - lets trade skills here!
                Hey!! *shoves Jess out of the way* I was here first!!! lol

Comment

and I`ll build you a conservatory as well...hardwood of course...lol...allan;)
                  ang on ..I thought it was gillygillyoffenpeppercastenellabogenbytheseeeee...
                  Last edited by garstonite; 10-01-09, 11:49.

Comment

Hey Allan...If you're offering kitchens I'll do your whole tree for you and even throw in a few certs!!! lol

In the mean time I will also have a look for some marriages free of charge

Comment

This could be Thomas's marriage - In the 1901 census he is Thomas Walter Oakes in 1901 census...

Marriages Dec 1903

FURBER Martha Ellen W.Derby 8b 642
                      Jones Mary W. Derby 8b 642
                      Oakes Thomas Walter W. Derby 8b 642
                      STONE Thomas Pendle W. Derby 8b 642

I haven't been able to work out what one he wed though as no children show up after 1911 with the name Oakes mmn Jones or Furber....Just had a thought - I will check the other groom and see if I can find out who he wed!!

Added - No luck with the other groom either...
                      Last edited by Deb N; 10-01-09, 14:16.

Comment

Does LancsBMD have MMN for West Derby yet? I know they don't for Toxteth Park.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Deb...never heard of the name Furber in Garston....Jones...hundreds...Garston had a copper works and the company brought in a lot of Welsh people to work the copper works because the welsh knew how to work with copper....scousers didn`t...lol..John..I HONESTLY DON`T KNOW....allan

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                            Hey!! *shoves Jess out of the way* I was here first!!! lol
                            it's so easy to imagine the slug pushing the fairy out of the way:D:D

Comment

Are you sure that Daniel & Marianne married in 1873?
                              This appears to be their marriage on FreeBMD........

Jun Qtr 1874
                              Merrick Mary Anne W. Derby 8b 602
                              Oakes Daniel W. Derby 8b 602

Comment

Was Sarah, Sarah A?
                                This marriage in Dec Qtr 1916 to Thomas K Walker....8b 964

Comment

Could be a bit old, but possible for Harriet (she would be 32/33)........

to Richard Ambrose, Mar Qtr 1921 8b 591

Comment

thanks very much Lynn...sorry..you are right about Daniel/Marianne...Daniel married Ann Evason in 1871 and Ann died in 1873...thats how I got confused with the 1873...I`ll check the marriages you have given me....were they under West Derby ?...or just Liverpool....allan;)

Comment

They were under W. Derby, as i s this one that could be James.........

James M Oakes married Dorothy M Ewen, Sep Qtr 1912...... 8b 1164....

or

James Oakes married Emily Cowley Sep Qtr 1915......8b 1320

Comment

Allan, Are you sure that Mary & Beatrice aren't the same persom?

There was a Mary Beatrice Oakes married either George Henry Key or...(I will have to have a search for other groom as he is missing off the index at present).....Mar qtr 1908.....8b 416

Also a Mary Oakes m Otto Jepson, Sep Qtr 1919, 8b 1465

Can't find Beatrice.

Comment

Working...
                                        X