Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New PC local network only available ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC local network only available ????

Have a PC out in my Garage connected to a Wireless Router
    Bought new PC to use indoors so bought a USB Adaptor it installed susccessfully but
    I cannot get the internet it says Local connection only available yet the signal is really good
    Am I missing something here??
    Thanks
    Might be in and out as its freezing out here even with the heating on but will be looking for anwers thanks again.

Were you able to get on the internet with the new pc before you bought the wireless adaptor
    Kathleen

Comment

Have you set the network protocols to allow internet access as well as network access between the computers?
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

hi and thanks
        I need to explain better I have a desktop in my garage which runs off a wireles router I have bought a new desktop for indoors which I am trying to run off the same wireless with a USB Adaptor
        It says connected but will not let me access the internet, and when I look in my network connections this PC is connected the other one isnt ???
        I may be doing something really silly .
        Thanks

Comment

ooh Guy how do I do that ????thanks

Comment

Val,

Go to the start menu and type 'network' into the search field at the bottom..
            At the top of the menu you will then see "Network and Sharing Center"
            Click on this and select Diagnose and Repair from the left hand side...

This should hopefully cause your pc to redetect all settings and resolve the problem...
            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Grimsqueaker I did try that thanks I am sure I have configured something wrongly,when you look at the network connections there is two pcs one is connected the other isnt and the world is greyed out instead of blue .

Comment

Its a long time since I set up my second pc, so this may not be much help.

The two things I remember were - the WEP key and.....
                On the task bar the little monitor icon with radar like signals coming from it needed a right click and then click enable.
                Kathleen

Comment

Thanks for your reply Kathleen I dont think I have one of those on there , as the second PC is not wireless enabled ???? that why I bought an adaptor or am I wrong there ???

Comment

Val, both mine have wireless built in so I could be wrong but I would think that you still have an icon at the bottom right showing that you are connected or where you can connect.

As this pc was once attached to the telephone with a cable I have an icon showing 2 monitors with a red cross over them and at the side of them I have another which shows little green rays when it is connected.

I set up my friends pc too which wouldn't work until I right clicked the icon at the bottom and enabled it. Having said that, hers was wireless enabled too.

Can you contact the adaptor supplier through a web site and get some help; we contacted Belklin (maker of the adaptor) when had a problem setting up my daughters.

Or maybe there is something to switch on at task bar on the monitor to enable the adaptor.
                    Kathleen

Comment

thanks for trying to help Kathleen ours is a Belkin too , the man in the shop told us its all we need to connect it but I am wondering now ??? although it does say I'm connected the world symbol is greyed out instead of blue and yellow .

Comment

Sorry I've been a while Val I've been on the phone to a friend.

I would see if you can contact Belkin via their site or maybe phone them if you think the problem is with the adaptor.
                        Its hard to know what the problem is without knowing what you have done up to now.

Have you made a connection using the ethernet cable first.... or... have you entered your WEP key correctly.....or.....it may be something to do with the adaptor.
                        I wish I had the answer for you
                        Kathleen

Comment

Having said that.....if it says you are connected then the problem must be elsewhere, lets hope someone a bit more techinically minded will come along.
                          Kathleen

Comment

Val

I don't have the answer for you but our old adaptor was Belkin (we had to change to Netgear for OHs work) and when we had problems we phoned them. At the time the calls were free (I presume they still are) so we didn't have the problem of spending loads of time on premium rate phone calls.

They were really helpful and patient - especially when I pleaded ignorance of all things computer related - and sorted out the problem.

Jackie
                            Jackie

Comment

Is it the right adaptor for your operating system?

Comment

thanks Kathleen and Jackie, James how would I know that ?? the shop chose it for me he said its the right one , but you never know
                                Thing is I have been fiddling tonight and have now really messed it up .
                                So dont be surprised if you hear about a flying PC in tomorrows papers.

Comment

Val, the partially sighted leading the blind here, but when I click on start you then get all the programs and stuff come up and one says Network. When I click on that my puter and stuff comes up as icons but above that is one tab which says network and sharing center and also another one which says add a wireless device.

If you click on those tabs, will it tell you how to add your new puter?

Comment

Hi Heather I did all that and was on the phone to talktalk !! bless em for ages , the funny thing is the two comps at the bottom of the screen are blue and when I hover it says connected????
                                    I just made a right mess of it trying to sort it so am going to have another go maybe next year LOL
                                    And I must say I am not too impressed with Dell, did you get many instructions with yours ???? its alright saying check online but suppose you cant get online ????

Comment

Val, you have Vista I assume. What do you have here for the wireless connection ?

You should have something similar if connected. The important ones are the 192.168.1.16 this shows your are connected to the router. Yours may be 192.168.0.XX.
                                      From network centre / "manage network connections" right click the wireless connection then status, then details.
                                      Bob
                                      Last edited by Chipesh; 16-01-09, 17:38.
                                      I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

thanks very much Chipesh for trying to help but we finally went back to the shop again and got somebody who knew what he was talking about and said our Talktalk router would be no good with this adaptor ?something about the adaptor being a N1 ??
                                        so got our money back and have now put the new desktop outside in the garage on the wireless router and its fine , although the reason we bought it was so I could be indoors in the warm .
                                        Its so frustrating to get so many conflicting ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                        X