Help with Ancestry and FTM2009 please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Ancestry and FTM2009 please

I have FTM 2009 and imported my GEDCOM from Genesreunited. The import threw up 4 errors with dates that I need to fix. I have not been successful yet. Also curiously I had a list of 129 place names that weren't recognised. They were addresses in Birmingham England and I was only given alternatives for Birmingham's in the USA, so I told the programme to ignore them as faults. Also all my occupations from my Genes tree came up as adresses not recognised too! Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    I would like to contact Ancestry before I register my 6 months free sub as I already have 11 months and want to make sure they will add it on and I have lost their phone number. Any help greatly appreciated.

Chris

Hi Chris,
    Sorry that I can't help with the technical stuff (I am just useless) but if I remember correctly, when I got my FTM 2009 and registered it the addition on to my existing time on Ancestry was automatic. I went to "my account" and the extra months appeared.

Good luck with 2009 - it is quite daunting and I have been still using 2005 for some branches. I have an error on my large tree (on FTM 2005) and 2009 won't accept the file.

herky
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Sorry - i didn't answer your question - if you go to "contact us" on the Ancestry site you should be able to find a phone number.
      I put telephone in the keyword search box and a list of contact numbers came up.
      herky
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Hello Chris

Welcome to FTF.

I'm a 2005 user but re the date and place problems, there are a few reasons it might have happened, i'll add a couple of brief comments and post a link or two to the GEDCOM guide in our wiki

1. The error could have occured during the export from GR or the import to FTM. It's probably best to open the GED file with Notepad and see what is recorded, if it matches the GR entry then the export is ok, if it has changed then the export was flawed.

2 Dates entered as
        abt 1810
        bef 1810
        should be accepted by FTM but certain variants of those don't work in every instance or with every site/programme.

3. The dates, places and occupations etc are recorded in specific places (fields) on screen in both GR and FTM, when converted to a GEDCOM file these are given a "tag".
        Although the gedcom format is allegedly a standard format there are different versions and different versions of a tag too, (abbreviated and long tags for example) if the programme that produced the gedcom works to a different standard to the programme receiving the gedcom then things can go awry.

That's the abbreviated explanation:o

Examples of how to examine a file in Notepad, a GEDCOM troubleshooter and the different systems of tags and fields are covered a bit more on the following links.

GEDCOM File Guide and FAQ - Family Tree Forum

GEDCOM Troubleshooter - Family Tree Forum

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 09-01-09, 16:32.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Herky and Glen for your help and advice.
          I will try the links you gave me Glen and see if I can make sense of them. I imagine if there are glitches with the import and you leave them unfixed then FTM won't perform properly.
          Happy hunting

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X