North of England Newspaper Archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North of England Newspaper Archive

Just come across a new archive which I cannot see on the Wiki (apologise if it's already there)

In its own words:
    “NENA. North of England Newspaper Archive. Our mission is to create a searchable online database of local and regional newspapers for the benefit of researchers and historians (including family historians). The project is run on a not-for-profit basis by academics and community volunteers.”

It’s free to search and view, but it’s not clear what papers are available. I assume it’s ongoing. None of my interest lies ‘up north’ but it may be interest to others.

Untitled Document
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Phil

Looks like an interesting website, but a quick search shows its rather clunky and difficult...perhaps this will improve?

Most of my ancestors are Northerners so I welcome this site!

OC

Comment

It doesn't seem too bad to me, although the OCR'ing is poor. It works like the NLA Australian newspapers. Just search for a name, then search in the OCR'd text with CTRL-F to see whereabouts it is on the page, and then look for it in the actual newspaper.

Comment

Had a look and looks good - the OCR isn't particularly good and you are better looking at the whole page and enlarging it rather than just looking at the article itself.

Comment

They don't seem to have all that many newspapers yet. One of my ancestors was involved in a court case in the 1860s which made all the main West Yorkshire papers, and her name doesn't come up, which suggests there are no Leeds or Bradford papers for that year.

Comment

Thanks. I didn't know about this site and doing a few quick searches turned up some useful data. I think I could spend hours here.

Comment

Yes, sorry, I meant the OCR isn't all that good - but when is it ever!

The search was fast and the pages came up promptly.

OC

Comment

I don't think I have enough northern links for it to be directly useful to me, but it has a great deal of potential.

thanks for letting us know about it.
                Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Yes, sorry, I meant the OCR isn't all that good - but when is it ever!
                  It can be excellent if the original document's in good condition, but old newsprint is hard to OCR decently.

Comment

Working...
                  X