Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed please on dwelling in Newton Solney, Derby.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed please on dwelling in Newton Solney, Derby.

Hi to you all. I'm researching my Spencer/Webster/Ford side of the family from Newton Solney, Bretby and Burton upon Trent, in Derbyshire. In the 1881 census their street address is ( The Kennels, the registration district is Burton upon Trent, sub registration district is Repton and the ED,institution or vessel is 9 ) can any one help me to find out any information on the name of the street/road where this could be. Many thanks Teresa.

On the previous page is Newton Park, head of household Robert Ratcliff , brewer and farmer of 170 acres employing 5 labourers. His household includes his family and domestic servants, then the next household (Burton Road) is the Coachman with family and the Groom. Then there is the Head Gardener with family, then we come to The Kennels where your John Spencer is a Farm Labourer with his family, and also at The Kennels is another Farm Labourer with family, then there is Castle Lodge where a General Labourer lives with his family. So I'm thinking that The Kennels was probably part of the Newton Park estate and John Spencer worked for Robert Ratcliff on his farm. It seems the main house at Newton Park is now a hotel.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi KiteRunner, thanks for your reply, your time and information. I have found it all very interesting and it has given me a lead i can now work on. I am hoping to visit Newton Solney/Bretby and surrounding areas in the summer time so i am trying to gather as much info on my family as i can before i go. I am really looking forward to going and retracing a few steps of my ancestors. Best wishes Teresa.

Comment

Robert Ratcliffe was part of the Bass, Ratcliffe and Gretton brewery in Burton.

Newton Solney and Bretby is in Derbyshire but Burton on Trent is in Staffordshire (sorry one of my pet hates, I hate it when folks put us in Derbyshire)

Newton Park Hotel (It is quite expensive)

Hotel in Burton upon Trent from £71 - Ramada Burton Upon Trent, Newton Park

By the way, any records for this area will be at Matlock, County record office for Derby or there are some at the local studies library in Irongate, Derby.

Burton library does not hold Derbyshire records.
        Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 09-01-09, 19:41.

Comment

Hi Margaret, sorry for the mix up on Burton on Trent and Derbyshire, i get mixed up with all the boundaries. The Newton Park Hotel looks very beautiful but very expensive. My other Spencers lived at Brook Street, Burton on Trent. I visited there last year and learnt that the street had since been demolished to expand the Coors visitor center i have been trying to find info on the year that happened for a while now. I enjoyed looking at your photo's, this will be something i will like to do with my ancestry when i can get the info sorted out. Many thanks Teresa.

Comment

Hi Teresa

Coors visitor centre formerly Bass museum now closed. Brook st housing was demolished for expansion and a new bridge over Horninglow St in the 1980's if I remember correctly. Brook St itself is still there but was diverted. It wasn't for Coors or Bass but for Ind Coope Burton Brewery. Bass then took them over and Coors bought out Bass. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

See my article on the Burton Brewing industry in the October edition of FTF's online magazine.

Brewing heritage

Comment

Hi Teresa

I have started a page in the wiki about Burton on Trent. It is still work in progress but you are welcome to take a look.

I must get back to working on it

Burton on Trent - Family Tree Forum

Comment

Working...
              X