1911 census info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census info

Initially, transcriptions and schedules can only be viewed using "PayAsYouGo" credits; they are not covered by the Findmypast subscription packages. Customers who are already registered on Findmypast will be able to enter their username and password and use any Findmypast credits across both sites, the existing site and the new 1911 census site.

Findmypast say that later the 1911 census will also appear on findmypast.com, which will then provide unlimited access to the records for a fixed annual fee but what's not clear is when that will happen but its a good guess not in the first half of 2009.

... Findmypast are scanning and indexing the 1911 census across England and Wales in the order of the National Archives catalogue number, basically starting in London, moving outwards and upwards through the English counties, then the Welsh counties, and finally the islands and military establishments. This is not yet complete and it will probably be towards the end of 2009 before the entire census is available online.
    Accessing the 1911 Census

Strange website - do you know who it belongs to, Mary?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I wonder whether they are going to release it bit by bit so it doesn't crash (I think I heard this somewhere) or will wait for it all to be done before releasing it.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
        Strange website - do you know who it belongs to, Mary?
        No - I had it bookmarked long before the "official" 1911 site, and I thought it belonged to the National Archives, but now you mention it, it doesn't seem to say whose it is.

I went to look at it because the official one seems to be down, and I wondered if the release date of 13th Jan was confirmed.

Comment

The site's registered by an individual in the UK called David Lang. None the wiser.

Comment

Tom

It's coming out bit by bit, not to stop the site crashing but because they haven't yet finished filming and transcribing all the counties.

OC

Comment

Yes OC, but I thought I had read somewhere they were still considering their options of the various ways they could do it.

Realease what they have now, and then add to it as other counties become available (which would also help with the site not crashing when it is released - although it probably will anyway) or have us wait for everything to be finished and then released.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom

I keep hearing the roll out date will be 13th Jan. I am sure they will open the site as soon as possible, not wait for the whole thing to be completed.

OC

Comment

I hope I can see my Norfolk gt grandfather at last!!! I managed to find nearly everyone else and although I have the transcription I would like to see the actual image!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Tom

I keep hearing the roll out date will be 13th Jan. I am sure they will open the site as soon as possible, not wait for the whole thing to be completed.

OC
                    Yes, that is what I would have thought

It will probably just be the counties on the BETA test for now though and then others added periodically.

Comment

From an email received from FMP two days ago -
                      The 1911 census from launch will be accessible using PayAsYouGo credits only. There will be no subscription access to this census until a later date. We do not yet have details of when subscription access will be available
                      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

According to the National Archives they plan on making the 1911 census fully available on line from 3rd Jan 2012
                        News | Online release of 1911 census
                        You can however get information now if you know an exact address and are prepared to pay a £45 fee
                        National Archives 1911 census enquiry

Comment

Jaydax

the 1911 census will be available on line round about January 2009. The FULL census will not be available until 2012.

The difference between the two is hairsplitting. Until 2012 the only information which will be suppressed is "sensitive personal information" which means the column reserved for disabilites, children born in prison etc.

Many people have already accessed the 1911 courtesy of the beta test over the holiday period.

OC
                          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 09-01-09, 13:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

the 1991 census

1911! lol

Comment

Merry

I swear someone nips onto my posts and creates typos - I checked that TWICE!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post

It will probably just be the counties on the BETA test for now though and then others added periodically.

Well that means I won't need to bother using it for about 6 months then. Already found my only direct relative left in the south.
                                Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I think we need to be patient and wait and see what happens. It could possibly happen on the 13th January and if it does what they have on it

Comment

The price will be interesting too.
                                    Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                                      The price will be interesting too.
                                      The price is always interesting on most sites ;)

Bearing in mind I have most of what I want from the 1911 census except for one family.

Comment

And for my London rellies, the new Guildhall/LMA records on Ancestry may produce the goods from electoral rolls in due course.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X