Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing family books

Hi

I have created a book from my ancestry tree, via their publish website. Ive got two books i want printed but its going to cost quite a bit of money so i thought about printing them myself. I thought i might use some really nice copy paper, but how could i display the pages? I dont want to put them in plastic pockets, but can you get some sort of plastic clips to hold the pages in? Im not sure if i am explaining myself properly, but when you just hole punch pages the holes end up ripping so i wondered if there was another way of holding them in place? or is there another way of laminating the pages so that they arent stiff?

Many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Have a look at Staples Office Supplies
    Staples.co.uk - Presentation Books
    for some ideas.
    I produce quite a lot of manuals guides etc at work and I find that using a comb binding can be the best solution with a stiff cardboard back and a clear plastic front. Most printing shops will print off copies onto good paper and do the binding for you
    Regards
    L

Comment

If you laminate them then the pages are in a plastic pouch of sorts, the more lightweight the pouch the less stiff the end result but then the problem is how to secure each page/pouch securely and still make them accessible.

You could use poly pouches which are pre punched, that would make removal of certain pages easier if needed but isn't the best looking solution and as they get used there is a chance of a pouch getting damaged. Easily replaced but

Alternatively you could try a display book, in effect they are display pouches pre-attached to the spine of a book type folder but again they are not the most attractive looking solution. An example from W H Smith
      A4 Display Book | WHSmith

Most of the genealogy supply companies tend to supply ring binder type folders with poly pockets by the look of it.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks thats what i thought. think i will have to go ahead and do it through ancestry. thanks for your help
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Hello Robyne

I printed out a book for my sister using FTM. I printed it out one-sided on good quality paper (100 gsm). I bought some very nice crafting paper in her favourite colour and used that as front and back cover. On the front cover I stuck on a picture of freesias which were my mum's favourite flower. Then I bought some ACID FREE A4 plastic sheets to protect front and back and fastened it all together with a long strip of hard plastic stuff (? lol). Maybe L knows what I mean? I will google to see if I can find out the proper name. Anyway, she loved it.

A comb binder would be good because it would prevent the pages having to be bent back.
          Rose

Comment

Hi Rosie

that sounds nice, let me know if you find out the info.
            Robyne

Comment

I haven't been able to find out what it is called but I'm sure you will have seen them.

Plastic. A4 in length, maybe 1/4 inch wide. Looks like it is folded in half. You slide your pages into it and it holds them into a booklet along the spine.

*somebody hellllllllp!*
              Rose

Comment

Lensgirl

You must have read my mind.

I was just sitting here pondering how to put together my OH's tree for his mother. He has no interest whatsoever but she has and she's 90 this February. All her wits about her, someone bought her a DigiPhoto box for christmas and she loves it and can work it. So not dotty at all and very agile as well - still gardening in her own garden.

So I will be reading this thread with interest. I was going to start a thread with this same question.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-01-09, 20:01.

Comment

I think Rosie is thinking of spine bars
                  Staples.co.uk Your business partner for Office Supplies, furniture and technology.
                  Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine. spot on lol,
                    Rose

Comment

Spine binders are great - I've used them to make booklets of census transcriptions for my village, topics of local history etc (we sold them for church funds.) You can add card front covers, and dismantle to add additional sheets at a later date.

I think they come in at least 2 thicknesses, to hold different numbers of printed sheets. Available in different colours too.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Lidl's are selling a thingy this week, can't remember the proper name (it's late!) but you shove your wad of paper into it and it binds it along the spine.

Under ten quid, but I think the number of sheets is limited to about 50.

OC

Comment

When I had a go at printing the ancestry one it came out landscaped which would be bit awkward to do in a binder
                          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

yeah they are landscaped so i would be able to get a really nice genealogy folder, its just the putting in of the paper. Oh well, it is her 70th and my nan is worth it
                            Robyne

Comment

If the book comes out in landscape all you do is turn the book 90 degrees so instead of opening/reading left to right you open/read bottom to top, just had 15 binders done at work today contaning written reports (which I printed out landscape) to match a load of drawings and flowcharts. Looks and works very well.
                              Regards
                              L

Comment

Working...
                              X