Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anybody going to National Archives in Scotland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anybody going to National Archives in Scotland?

Hi i am looking for a bit of help please. I have managed to get back on my Scottish side using scotandspeople and have been really chuffed with what i have found. I am now stuck. I have a Charles Ireland born 14.03.1780 Kinnell, Angus. His parents are George Ireland and Anne Ireland. This is where i am struggling i can't find their marriage. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jennie; 08-01-09, 18:08.
    Jen

Some Scottish marriages were never recorded at all, so it could be one of those. I have managed to get some of my Scottish lines back past a missing marriage - in fact, even if you do find the marriage, it might not give you any more information than you already have - or are you looking for Anne's maiden name? I would think that would be on her children's baptisms though? If you have the names of all the couple's children, then usually the first few names will match their grandparents' names, i.e the parents of George and Anne. If you can find a baptism for a George Ireland and the parents' names look right, you can look to see if either or both of them left a will etc (also on Scotland's People) and if you get one of those, it can tell you the names of everyone in the family and help to confirm if you have the right people. Also if you look at the images of the OPR baptisms for George and Anne's children there may be the names of witnesses who are often relatives, plus it may give you occupations and residences, so again that can help.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I think you mean the GRO not the National Archives Jennie.

If you want the thread title changing just pm one of the mods.

Joanie

Comment

Joan, she could well mean the National Archives because they do have some marriages which aren't at the GRO - if the marriage was at the GRO then it should be on Scotland's People as far as I know.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry i got cut off the internet last night and for the life of me i couldn't get back on.
          Just going to get my tree open and go and look at how i got the names etc so i can explain where i am at.
          Jen

Comment

Ok just been back and had a look Charles Ireland was baptised 14.03.1780 his parents are George Ireland and Anne Ireland. Charles that i can find is their only child. I will just go and have a look see if there has been a will left by George. I am not sure where i need to look hense why i guessed at the National Archives sorry.
            Jen

Comment

Just had a look and no sign of a will for George Ireland, any idea of where to next please.
              Jen

Comment

Sorry, Jennie, what I was trying to say was, look for a baptism for George Ireland and then look for his father's will. Also if it looks as though Anne's maiden name was Ireland, look for her baptism too and look for her father's will.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Arh right thanks I will go and do that now.
                  Jen

Comment

Ok so have had a look there are 4 possiblities for George.
                    There are 2 for Anne but i think i can wittle it down to 1 as the one born 1754 although age would fit with childs birth the place is Mid Calder (which makes me question it)
                    Then the second one which i think is correct is Anne born 1760 she was born in Kinnell, Angus and this is where the son was born and quite a lot of the other decendants.
                    Jen

Comment

So when i go to look at the wills for Anne using the 1760 parents, i can find 2 wills.
                      One being in Kirkudbright in 1786 which means that he did it when he was about 46ish (daughter would be 26 so guessing on his age)
                      The second one is Glasgow in 1766 so only approx 6 years after his daughter born.
                      Well i am guessing that his daughter was born 1760 but that is the one that would fit more easily.
                      Jen

Comment

So it might be worth getting the Kirkcudbright one to see if it's the right family. Of course the trouble is that you have to pay, I think it's £5, and if it turns out to be the wrong family then the money is wasted, but when I tried this tactic to trace one of my Scottish lines back it worked a treat and the one will gave me the married names of all the sisters in the family.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Oh right, i will have to do this next week then when i get paid again. Thankyou for your help.
                          All i need now is to try and sort out George as non of the places look familiar, so might have to find a map to see which ones were close by.
                          Thanks again.
                          Jen

Comment

The Old Parochial Records (OPRs) on ScotlandsPeople claim to be a comprehensive record from Church of Scotland church records going back to the year dot. And a significant number of them seem to have also been transcribed on the IGI.

What is not available on ScotlandsPeople is records from churches which were not Church of Scotland. There were (and still are) a goodly number of those (e.g. Free Church of Scotland, United Free Church of Scotland, as well as many other sects). The National Archives of Scotland (NAS) does have a large number of registers from these churches but many of them are not indexed online and none (as far as I know) has images available online. Quite a lot have been filmed but they can only be viewed at the NAS.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thankyou Uncle John, i have managed to get in contact with one of the gentlemen who is also studying the same name in the same area and we are connected and he has been able to eliminate a few of them from information he has on his tree (which he has proven and some i have managed to prove for him from what i have ordered) touch wood i might be able to be left with only a few choices.
                              Jen

Comment

Working...
                              X