1st World War Casulty Stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st World War Casulty Stations

My relative, Henry Pennyfather served in the First World War in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers towards the end of the war. I had thought he died in action, but his death certificate states he died whilst a prisioner of war at "Anbigaiyan Back" Casulty Clearing Station. His regiment were serving in the Battle of the Somme at the time of his death. I do not know when he became a prisioner of war. I cannot find anything on the web for this clearing station, nor does the Royal Fusiliers know anything about it, or Army researchers at Kew. Does anyone?
    Dennis

In the WW1 Medal Rolls there are 2 entries, Francis and Herbert Pennyfather both Royal Welsh Fusliers.
    Did your Henry have a 2nd name?

Comment

Are you sure you've read the name correctly? I don't think a placename called Anbigaiyan exists.

Can you scan the cert and post that part of it here so we can have a look?

Comment

Hang about - I bet it's Aubigny-au-Bac. There was a clearing station at Aubigny.

All about the British Army of the First World War. Find how to research the men and women who served, and stacks of detail about the army organisation, battles, and the battlefields.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-01-09, 19:52.

Comment

Here's his entry on the CWGC site (at least I assume it's your man - he's the only H Pennyfather in the casualty list):

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-01-09, 21:33.

Comment

Hello Mary, and sincere apologies for not replying earlier. We lost our computer and all our saved websites and e-mails. Our data fortunately was safe as I back up regularly to a separate hardrive.
            Many many thanks for your answer, I wish I hadn't had to wait 4/5 years to get your answer.
            Apolgies and thanks again. Dennis

Comment

No problem, you're very welcome. Glad to hear you didn't loss all your data.

Comment

Working...
              X