Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex Whitehead's

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some help with my Whitehead ancester's.

My 4th Great Grandmother was Sarah Whitehead. She married Thomas Grimsdell some time in the 1830's. I have not been able to trace there marriage yet. Thomas was a Ag Lab from Monks Risborough in Bucks, and would take the family there in the 1840's.

Sarah was born around 1815, at Childerditch, which I believe is near Basildon. From the parish records, I believe that she was the daughter of Mary Whitehead, but I have not seen the records myself.

The family is living at East Horndon in 1841 (HO107/322/14), and Monks Risborough in 1851 (HO 107/1720).

I have no information on Mary, or Sarah's early life, so would be grateful for any assistance.

Thanks in advance,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Freereg don't have much in the way of Essex or Bucks records transcribed at present. Coverage is improving and updates are pretty frequent but all you can really do online is keep checking back on the site and IGI regularly. I had nothing for months on one line then found several useful entries on freereg this week.

The nitty gritty records with the answers probably lay in the archives just waiting to be discovered.

I'm assuming the thread you posted on rootsweb (copied below) a while ago relating to Sarah hasn't revealed anything new for you.

-----
    Can any one help me find information of my Whitehead ancesters from Essex.

My 4th Great Grandmother was Sarah Whitehead, who was born in 1816, at Childerditch. She married Thomas Grimsdell some time before 1838 - but I have no idea where, but as there oldest children were born in East Horden, i quess it happend in the Childerditch/East Horden area.

Sarah was christened on the 05/01/1817 at Childerditch. She was the illegitamate daughter of Mary Whitehead - who I have no information about.

Can any one help me discover my Essex roots?
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 08-01-09, 17:44.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hi Tippin
      If the marriage took place pre 1837 then the info will be minimal. You could ask if anyone on FTF with a sub to British Origins could do a look up in Boyd's Marriage Index. If nothing shows up then you could write to the man who has compiled the Essex marriage Index. See link below for details.
      Moggie
      ESSEX MARRIAGE INDEX 1754-1851

Comment

Hi,

I hade a 48 hour subscription to British Origins, but I can not remember if I searched the Boyd's Marriage Index for the marriage. I think I did, so I think I won't waste any one's time looking for something that does not exist! I will have to try the Essex Marriage Index, thanks for the link!
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Tippin,
          Have you tried the Essex Records Office online site? They have a digitised a few parish registers online but I don't know if what you want would be there.

Essex County Council - Archives and museums
          Click on SEAX.

I found one of mine from Chelmsford.

Comment

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the site. I have had a quick look around, but I got a bit lost to be honest. I am sure I will figure it our eventually!!!

Tippin
            Families Intrested in

Comment

Working...
            X