John Eccles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Eccles

Dear Sir, John Eccles was born 'in Ireland' about 1838 and Derry Genealogy Centre has a computer record of a Baptism about this time, but unfortunately is closed. I have been promised an e-mail to advise when it reopens by Brian Mitchell - Derry City Council are trying to re-establish the service- but in the current economic climate that could take a long time. I wonder if you can suggest any other possible source to confirm the parentage of this John? Website <www.irishgenealogy.ie> only gives Derry as a possible source. Grateful for any help. Francis Lee

Hi Francis,
    You could register with the Irish Family History Foundation website, and they will send you emails advising you of when new counties are added to their online database (London/Derry is shown as not available on their website yet, although they do seem to have some records from much later than the date you are looking for.)

If you aren't certain that London/derry is the right county for your John, have you got a copy of his marriage certificate? That should tell you his father's name and occupation so that when you do get to see the London/derry baptism record you will be able to see if the details match.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

A bit of a shot in the dark here, but is your John the one who is listed on the IGI as born about 1838, Ireland, married Matilda Robertson 8 Feb 1861 Glasgow and died 19 Jan 1922 Govan? If so, and if this information is correct, then his marriage certificate (which should be available on Scotland's People) will tell you his parents' names including mother's maiden name. I know this still doesn't help with getting to see that baptism record! The IGI gives his parents' names as John Eccles and Ann McCormick, though of course that may or may not be what it says on the marriage cert.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, I see it was you who submitted the info to FamilySearch! Back to the drawing board...
        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
        X