Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alfred henry hayden

Hi there,

I am looking for a birth or baptism for Alfred Henry Hayden. According to his death notice in South Africa, he ws born about 1848 in England. He married his first wife Mary Carr in 1869 in Westminister, and she died in 1876 in Westminster. I have not been able to find any children born of this marriage. He emigrated to South Africa between 1876 and 1880, being the year his first wife died and the year his first child was born with his second wife.

If anyone can assist me here, I would be most grateful.

Kind regards
    Jackie

Hi, do you have his fathers name and occupation, from his marriage certs.

Comment

Do not have his marriage certificate as yet for him and Mary. The death notice does not show his parents names. There was a possiblity of his father being Dennis as on the 1861 census, there is an Alfred at age 12 and being in Westminister. His siblings were named Richard, Thomas, William, Henry and Mary Jane. These names are some of his children's names. Alfred's occupations shown on his death notice and daughters birth certificate are Painter or Glazier, both labouring occupations.
      Thats all i have so far.
      Regards
      Jackie

Comment

You really need to get his marriage certificate to be sure.
        Marriages Dec 1869
        CARR Mary
        HAYDON Alfred
        Westminster 1a 747
        Elaine

Comment

1851 census, Alfred Haydon born c 1847 - parents Daniel and Mary, siblings Richard, Thomas and Mary J
          Parents born Ireland. Daniel's occupation Chair Maker.
          Address 11 St Anne's Street, St Anne Westminster
          HO107; Piece: 1510; Folio: 295; Page: 21;

The 1861 census shows Alfred Haydon born c1849 London - parents Daniel and Mary, both born Ireland. Daniel's occupation is cabinet maker. Address is 27 Dean Street, Westminster St Anne.
          RG9; Piece: 175; Folio: 73; Page: 7

The 1871 census shows a James and Mary Haydon living at 27 Dean Street - both born Ireland - James' occupation chair maker.
          RG10; Piece: 145; Folio: 37; Page: 9
          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 08-01-09, 08:15.
          Elaine

Comment

Possible London births for Alfred

Births Mar 1847
            Hayden Alfred
            Strand vol 1, page 409

Births Dec 1848
            Haydon Alfred
            Kensington vol 3, page 364
            Elaine

Comment

I have birth certificate for Alfred in Kensington, but shows his parents as John Daniel Haydon and Mary Amelia Haydon, born Brooks. Can you look for census's for me? Alfred's children in South Africa are John Henry, Mary Bertha Elizabeth, Alfred James, Enod Caroline Harriet, Ely Charles, Kate Johnson, unnamed daughter, stillborn son, and Jane.
              When i received it I did not think it would be the correct one, for some reason or other. But now that i look at it again, with naming traditions, his 2 first children are after his parents names?
              Birth certificate shows born 16 Nov 1848 at 10 Cambridge Place, Paddington, father a Baker.
              Help

Regards
              Jackie

Comment

The 1841 census for Dennis & Mary shows them living at St Anne's Court, Westminster with children John (10), Richard (8), Thomas (6), William (4) and Henry (2).
                Dennis' occupation is Chair maker.

HO107; Piece 730; Book: 5; Civil Parish: St Anne Soho; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 37; Page: 16; Line: 22;
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by jack sprat View Post
                  Birth certificate shows born 16 Nov 1848 at 10 Cambridge Place, Paddington, father a Baker.
                  Help
                  At the moment the only likely one I can find is 1851 census HO107; Piece: 1467; Folio: 751; Page: 14

household:
                  John Haydon 45 - occupation Baker
                  Mary Haydon 38
                  Thomas Haydon 13
                  George Haydon 12
                  Edith Haydon 6
                  Eliza Haydon 5
                  address: South Wharf Row, Paddington.

.. but no Alfred listed in household
                  Elaine

Comment

His siblings were named Richard, Thomas, William, Henry and Mary Jane.
                    Is this from his death notice?

These names do seem to fit with the Daniel Haydon who was a chair maker / cabinet maker, which would mean that the birth certificate you have got is not the right one! :(
                    Elaine

Comment

I think the first thing to do is to get his marriage certificate which will confirm father's name and occupation.

If it is Daniel (cabinet maker/chair maker) then I think this might be his birth as the family seem to remain in St. Anne Soho district which comes under the Strand registration district.

Births Mar 1847
                      Hayden Alfred
                      Strand vol 1, page 409
                      Elaine

Comment

That was my first thought when i received the birth certificate - wrong parents. Perhaps the Strand birth is the correct one? I am not sure where Strand is in relation to Middlesex. His parents were born in Ireland, married in Ireland or UK, not sure, as was prior to 1837. In 1841 the family was in Soho, Mdsx and by 1861 they were in Westminster. His siblings William and Henry died in 1847 and 1848 respectively if that is any help. Dennis owned a coffee shop as well in Dean Street which is confirmed by the Historical Directories as "Hayden Dennis, coffee rooms" hence the amount of people in the 1871 and 1881 census's. He must have bought it when he retired.
                        I also know that Dennis remarried in 1876 in Marylebone to Elizabeth Keely after the death of his wife Mary in 1871.
                        Regards
                        Jackie

Comment

I am not sure where Strand is in relation to Middlesex.
                          This link gives the coverage of the Strand Registration district.
                          Strand Registration District

Dennis owned a coffee shop as well in Dean Street which is confirmed by the Historical Directories as "Hayden Dennis, coffee rooms" hence the amount of people in the 1871 and 1881 census's. He must have bought it when he retired.
                          I also know that Dennis remarried in 1876 in Marylebone to Elizabeth Keely after the death of his wife Mary in 1871.
                          The address in both the 1861 and 1871 census information in post #5 is Dean Street.

The 1881 census shows Dennis with second wife Elizabeth, still living at 27 Dean Street. Dennis' occupation Chairmaker.
                          RG11; Piece: 130; Folio: 82; Page: 9;

I would certainly try the Strand birth certificate as it covers the area where they were living in 1851.
                          Elaine

Comment

Didn't notice this one earlier
                            Deaths Jun 1849
                            HAYDON Alfred
                            Kensington 3 254

.. which is possibly the Alfred for whom you have the birth certificate - which is why he wasn't showing on the 1851 census with John Haydon the baker.
                            Elaine

Comment

Thank you. I will order the certificate for Strand one and take it from there.

Regards
                              Jackie

Comment

Working...
                              X