Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very strange!!

HI All!

I just thought I would see if I could find anything new on my Emo bunch so just done a basic surname search on Ancestry using one of the few varients of the name - Amo.

To my suprise there were a few pages of them spanning all the available census and the length and breadth of the country. Although I didn't recognise any of them as mine I was quite curious to know where they originated from so I checked the IGI but not one of them was on there??? I then checked familyhistoryonline - zilch?? Don't you think that's pretty odd?? Who on earth are they? I was hoping they could have been descendents of my 4xggf's brother who I have not been able to trace.

I would be intersted to know your thoughts on this!

Deb

It may just be that the submitters have corrected the spelling. Can you find any of these Amos on the census?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Deb

It may just be that the submitters have corrected the spelling. Can you find any of these Amos on the census?

OC
      That's where I found them OC but they are not elsewhere?? According to the census they are born all over the country but there is not one of them on the IGI?? If they were from one county in a particular parish I would understand....

Comment

Sounds like a mistranscription then...maybe should be Amos?

OC

Comment

Hi,

I suspect most of the 'Amo's' are mistranscriptions for ARNO.

Comment

I'm just going through the pages now and it is quite hard to tell with some of them - some certainly do look like AMO and others well they could be anything!!!

I'm still hanging on to the glimmer of hope that these could be another branch of my Emos!!!

Thanks for your opinions OC and Susan!

Comment

Is there any reason that Amos shouldn't be a surname any more than James, Thomas, or any other male name?

Or are they S-less? i.e. definitely AMO and not AMOS.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

No, no reason at all why AMO shouldn't be a surname, but Deb can find no records, other than census, for anyone with that surname!

OC

Comment

A few years ago now, I transcribed the will of one of my ancestors and I thought it gave her niece's married surname as Laro. I couldn't find any Laros anywhere until the 1841 census became available on ancestry and quite a few Laros popped up on the index, but they all turned out to be mistranscriptions. As indeed was mine - I had misread the name "Law"!
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                  X