Charles Humphrey 1881 and 1891

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Humphrey 1881 and 1891

I am having great difficulty in finding G Grandfather Charles Humphrey, and would be greatful for any help to find him.
    Charles c1878 (son of Thomas) married Charlotte Cooke c1878 of Bethnal Green, daughter of Henry (Cabinet Maker), they married Dec 1899 in Hornsey, Middlesex, at the time both were noted as being 21yo and residing at 28 Boyton Road. Both Charles and his father Thomas were noted as being Labourers-at the time of Charles marriage.
    According to the 1901 census Charles (Bricklayers Labourer)was born in Putney Middlesex. He was living at No 18 The Grove Hornsey Middlesex with his wife Charlotte and their daughter Mary A, 1 year old.

Thank you
    [COLOR="Purple"][COLOR="darkorchid"]Thanks

Mystic.........

copy and paste from ancestry removed - please read our copyright guidelines
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 08-01-09, 13:04.

Comment

Thank you Janet H, your help is appreciated.

Mystic.........

Comment

Mystic, was Charles born in Putney as per 1901 census you found or born in Brighton as per the one Janet posted?
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Hi Jules,
          As far as I know he was born in Putney (as per 1901 census) I needed to look at a map (sorry to be naive, but I'm from the other side of the world) to see where Brighton Sussex was before I realised it is probably not the right Charles, but I suppose I'm thankful someone tried to help.

Mystic.........

Comment

I couldn't find him on the censuses but did find two births, one of which might be him
            Dec 1877 Wandsworth Vol 1d, page 721
            Mar 1879 Wandsworth Vol 1d, page 616
            I saw that Putney came under Wandsworth for BMD regs. Worth ordering to see if one is yours as it would give mother's name, you can use the father's name as a check to make sure you only get one certificate.
            I did see a Charles Humphrey born Putney but the father was Aaron so thought maybe the marriage cert wasn't quite right, could also be his age wasn't right either.
            Have you looked on the 1891 for the address he gives on the marriage cert?
            Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,
              Thanks for that info. As yet I haven't thought about ordering a birth cert as I wasn't sure where Putney was exactly, but I will most certainly take your advise.
              "Have you looked on the 1891 for the address he gives on the marriage cert?" Can you please explain how I can do this, I wasn't aware this was an option?

Mystic.........

Comment

It's not easy to do but on Ancestry you go to the 1891 census, choose the county, Middlesex, then choose Hornsey and you get a list of Enumeration districts with 'view description of enumeration district' click on this and there is an image of the list of streets included in that district. Once you find the district containing the street and house number you need, you open that by going back to the main list and click on it. Unfortunately then you have to look at each page in that district to find your street. Very time consuming.

I would try to get a birth cert first as it may give you some more details to check that might find him more easily. It also might rule in or out the ones that can be seen on the censuses but have different birth details.
                Margaret
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 08-01-09, 12:47. Reason: spelling

Comment

I had a look at Boyton Road Hornsey in the 1901 census but couldn't see Thomas Humphrey at all but did see two other Humphrey men in that street.
                  At No 1 Harry Humphrey single age 19 Carman born Whetstone Middlesex and
                  At No 94 Frederick Humphrey married age 23 (no wife listed) born Royston Hertfordshire.

I know this doesn't look like it helps but I thought it was something to note, as I don't think Humphrey is a particularly common name and to find two others in the same street???
                  By the way I think checking in the 1891 is now not likely to help as it appeared to me that a lot of the houses were multi occupied rather than places people living there all their lives.
                  Good luck with the search.
                  Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret for your explaination and your help with trying to find this "Humphrey" family. I will continue my search!

Mystic.........

Comment

Hiya
                      I have looked through all 1881 census London which includes Wandsworth [Putney]
                      Aha i worked on the River Thames tugman on the river & based at Putney.
                      Sorry back to the thing in hand lol.
                      Charles Humphrey b.1879 son of Aaron Humphrey, as we all say wrong parent.
                      Checked Aaron correct name Yes born Kent 1847. Don't see a 2nd name because a lot did use their 2nd christian name instead of 1st.ie.Thomas
                      On marriage cert does it say if father is living or deceased?
                      I have seen it on Anc.com,Freebmd & family search.
                      I would as others say apply for his birth cert. This will give his fathers name & hopefully his mothers also.
                      tugman

Comment

Hi Tugman,
                        It doesn't state that he is deceased, so I assume he was alive. "Thomas Humphrey-Labourer" If I was to order the birth cert. should I leave the fathers name blank or put in Thomas?

Mystic.........

Comment

On reflection I wouldn't put the father's name in at all, but you probably need to get both certificates because asking for a reference check with Thomas as the father's name might mean you don't get any certificates because I think we are now thinking that possibly the father's name you have is not entirely accurate.
                          Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, I will order the certificates today.Heres hoping it gives me some answers.

Mystic.........

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X