WW 1 research advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW 1 research advice please

Hi...my grandad was born in 1900...would he have been called up for the WW1...if so,is there any way I can find out which regiment he served with....regards..allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

The Long, Long Trail site is very good for beginners to read, also to look on Ancestry, ( or ask someone else to) to see if there is any WW1 info on him.

Comment

From one Alan to another,
      what name are you looking for and where born?

Comment

Daniel Oakes b 1900 Garston,Liverpool.;......cheers alan;)
        ADDED..thanks Barbara...clicked on the long long trail,and the WW1 records were bombed in 1940...only half of those records who served were saved...they are known as the "burnt series"...and were transferred to The National Archives....which you have to pay for ,and I don`t have credits for this site...thanks for the input...allan
        Last edited by garstonite; 07-01-09, 18:39.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Thanks for posting this Allan. My grandfathers were both born in 1900 give or take 6 months. I looked on the service records when Ancestry did their freebie, but neither were mentioned or I missed seeing them, so assumed they were too young at the outbeark of war in 1914 for them to serve but one of them would have been old enough by the beginning of 1918. Does anyone know at what age would call up papers have been sent or voluntary entry be admitted? I remember vaguely, the programme on tv about Rolf Harris's father and uncle being enlisted but as one was too young by 6 months, had to wait for his birthday in order to serve, but I'm blowed if I can remember which birthday that was.

Edit...thanks Barbara and Allan, that's why I didn't find them.

Anne
          Last edited by Anne Brown; 07-01-09, 18:48.

Comment

I'm not certain, and quite happy to be corrected but I think to join the army during WWI officially in any case, you had to be 19, and 17 for navy.

Comment

He told 'porkies'

He enlisted May 1915 quoting age of 19yrs 10mths and allocated to 6th Btn, The Kings Royal Rifle Corps..........only a lickle fella 5ft 2 and 3/4, fair complexion and weighed all of 105lbs.
              On 10th June 1916, he was discharged " having made a mis-statement about his age".
              He quoted Sophia Oakes, mother, as next of kin.

Comment

According to the Imperial War Museum site, conscription was introduced in January 1916 for men aged between 18 and 41. The minimum age was reduced to 17 and the maximum age increased to 55 in April 1918.

Welcome the Imperial War Museum's Collections Home Page : When was conscription introduced during the First World War?

Comment

thank you all...alan..thats brilliant..his mother was Sophia(maiden name Schacht)....well wot a little fibber...my grandad died when I was 6..he was 56 coming 57...he always sat me on his knee and made me feel "special"..even though he had 8 grandkids at the time..all boys by the way...and when he died he was about 14 stone..so pleased you found that for me..Kings was the Liverpool regiment that as far as I know ALL my family signed up with in the 2nd WW...thanks a lot...made my day...allan;);) ps..where did you find the Info...for the benefit of anyone else with this type of query...allan

Comment

that lickle fella

It's on Ancestry WW1 Army Service Records.
                    See my pm to you.

Comment

cheers alan...really appreciated...allan;)

Comment

What a great outcome Allan :D

So made up for you ;)
                        Jacky

Comment

Hiya Jacky...how are you hun ?...it looks like it might get even better Jacky..Alans found his service record and he`s going to e-mail it to me...he said he didn`t want to post it as he was a "bit of a lad"...if its presentable on here I`m going to ask Alan to post it up...should be good for a laugh...allan;):D

Comment

Thats very kind of Alan

My granddad and his brother were in the Kings.....and the brother got threw out as well - he was naughty to an officer:D
                            Jacky

Comment

on it's way by e-mail.........you'll die laughing

Comment

Oooh, i'm itching to know now :D;)
                                Jacky

Comment

okay...its a little difficult to read so I won`t post it but it says
                                  REGIMENTAL CONDUCT SHEET
                                  REGIMENT...K.R.RIFLE CORPS (kings own royal rifle corps)
                                  R/15094 Daniel Oakes ....
                                  2-3-1916 Urinating his Bedding...2 days loss of pay
                                  29-5-1916 4-30pm Absent off pass 7 days loss of pay
                                  (he didn`t come back until 31 may)
                                  so if he was away from his mum and dad for over a year and there was a war on...did his parents Sanction him being at war??...or did he lie and say he was somewhere else??...and did you notice he was discharged TEN days after he was given 7 days loss of pay for being 2 days late off his pass...so he`d been in the army for 12 months when he was given these charges and was still only 16....must have been p***ed as a f**t when he wet the bed...ha ha...he was a very funny man..he used to tell me monologues and I was fascinated....loved him to bits..alan do you know what the R in front of his number stood for..was it Rifleman??...and thanks very much mate ..you have really made me very happy tonight and brought back some great memories...cheers mate..allan;)

Comment

Oh Allan :D:D: he was certainly a little corker ;)

My granddads brother was a gunner in the same reg - the 6th Kings, but he enlisted in 1921....

I have really enjoyed this informative, yet funny thread - Thankyou ;)
                                    Jacky

Comment

Jacky..thats probably the BEST bit of info I`ve ever had simply because I remember my grandad and I found it funny that this kind old man (which he was to me as a kid) could be a "naughty boy"....absolutely priceless....:D:D:D allan added..I think most scousers joined the "Kings"...there`s even a pub about a mile from me "the Kingsman" named after the regiment on behalf of all the scousers who served in the "Kings"...allan
                                      ADDED...Just been on free bmd and I can`t find his death...I was 6/7 so it would be 1957/8
                                      Last edited by garstonite; 07-01-09, 21:11.

Comment

I had a look on Lancs BMD, but it dose'nt cover Liverpool deaths......
                                        Jacky

Comment

Working...
                                        X