is this an english uniform cand anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this an english uniform cand anyone

tell me please what the unin is he has stripes is he a sargent?i have asked some nice person on photo restore if they can restore it maybe then we can see better.

brenda xxx

Im pretty sure that the one stripe is Lance-Corperal.

Not sure about regiment im sorry.

Danny
    Last edited by quiffdo; 07-01-09, 15:18.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

danny thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

If you know this persons name, its possible to search Army records WW1.
        If you post the details I'll have a look for you.

Comment

Seems strange to have only one stripe, yet appears to be sporting a baton, dont think a low ranking soldier would be allowed one of those, may be just for the posed Photograph?
          Sorry cannot help.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan o` Dale View Post
            Seems strange to have only one stripe, yet appears to be sporting a baton, dont think a low ranking soldier would be allowed one of those, may be just for the posed Photograph?
            Sorry cannot help.
            I've got a photo of a WW1 relative who was only a private but had a baton for it. I suspect it was a common prop. Perhaps a reference to every private having a field marshals baton in his knapsack. lol
            Robert

Comment

Hi,
              i can confirm that one strip is a Lance Corporal. The lowest ranking non commissioned officer. Or the next rank up from private.

I can't tell what regiment he is in but it is likely to be a county based one. The baton would have been a prop used by photographers at this time.

Where was he living during this period?

regards

Stu (Ex Army officer)

Comment

As a boy I was given my fathers cane, it has The Manchester Regiment silver emblem at one end and a metal piece at the other..
                I was told that it was my fathers but he was only promoted to lance corporal and then lost that stripe.

I still have the cane....but does Stuarts answer mean that it never belonged to my father ??

Comment

Colin

Some regiments provided their junior NCO's with a swagger stick or riding crop as an additional badge of office. These usually had, like yours a silver tip on one end and the regimental badge on the other. The Manchester regiment did do this, which would suggest your cane/stick is the real thing.

Most Regiments only provided canes to Senior NCO's, and Officers.

So some photographers used a prop cane to enhance the picture, which means there are pictures of JNCO's and Private soldiers with canes which in truth they should not have had. Mostly these canes are an ordinary gentlman's riding crop with no silver badges or tips!

hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.... it is the only thing I have that was my fathers.... he died in Burma. I did have his Great Coat... but as a boy did not realise what I was doing when I cut it up to make a peg rug

Comment

What was his name Bren?
                      As for the regiment I think that you could be looking overseas for the regiment as by its form and shape it appears to me to resemble the Canadian maple leaf as does the collar dogs. Seeing that the British army did not wear collar badges during the 1st world war and only regained the use of them on uniforms from 1924 I would, as I have already said, favour this being a Canadian badge if indeed the picture was taken during the 1st ww years.

don

Comment

don then you must be right because he lived in canada thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

Bren, if you have his full name you can look him up on the national archives of Canada for his 1st ww papers which will give name, address, next of kin, date of birth, date of enlistment plus discription of him-colour of eyes/hair/height/scars or marks if any etc. If you already have his date of birth it will help in looking for him.

don

Comment

Working...
                          X