Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New records on Ancestry

As from tomorrow, 8th January, these new records are available on Ancestry

UK City and County directories will be available on January 8th 2009. Search trade directories for locations, businesses and occupations

Apparently they are the equivalent of the modern day Yellow Pages

Linda

Ooh, that should be good. I wonder if they are some of the Archive CD Books collection that they bought? There are lots of directories on the Historical Directories website, but there are lots of gaps that ancestry could fill in.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That does sound promising, expecially as the Historical Directories site is really time-consuming to search.

Comment

Well, yes, but searching the directories that ancestry already has tends to come up with matches that don't exist or fails to find matches that should be there, so the search facility on the new ones may well leave a lot to be desired too. For instance, if you search for first name and surname, ancestry often claims there is a match in a directory just because there is a page with both names occurring somewhere on it (i.e. in different entries) or it will say there is no match because the directories usually list surname and then first name and it tries the other way round. So it may turn out to be best to browse through them rather than use search.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Yes, that's true, I've had the same trouble with the UK medical directories. I have to search on surname only and wade through all the hits to make sure I don't miss anyone.

Comment

The indexing of the medical directories isn't very good.

I've hit a brick wall with Pigots 1834 directory for Durham on familyrelatives. The person I want is there and indexed but the scan of the page he is on is missing. I've emailed them twice but have not had any response at all.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

oh dear (head in hands) something else to sit and try and work out how it works, I'm having great difficulties with the new layout on Ancestry as it is, I'm loosing the will to live lol,

Comment

I know where your coming from Jan I am sort of getting round it now ,have installed the ancestry toolbar makes it much easier to navigate the stuff I want.

Comment

It's available now. A few observations:

The coverage for Scotland doesn't look very good.

I would definitely say search on surname only, or browse a directory, because a lot of people are listed by surname and initial so if you put in the full first name it might not find them.

I can't get the pages to load using the basic image viewer, only the enhanced one. Is it the same for other people?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

It's the same for me Kate. Also, I can't get images to load at all on Firefox so am using IE.
                    Gillian
                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Can't get the edit button to work for me so am posting this as a new reply.

A search for Salmoni, Somerset showed no results. However, his name shows up in the Pigot's 1822 for Somerset, so I'm not sure that the name search option is going to be reliable.
                      Gillian
                      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                        It's the same for me Kate. Also, I can't get images to load at all on Firefox so am using IE.
                        Images won't load for me on IE.

Comment

I've just tried it and all I get is blank pages :(

My browser is Safari
                          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Are you using the basic image viewer or the enhanced one, Rachel?
                            KiteRunner

Comment

I tried last night - there were disappointingly few directories on the site (only 1 for Leicestershire!), and the images wouldn't load (Firefox). I thought perhaps they were still uploading. It doesn't say in the blurb whether they'll be adding any more directories.

Comment

I find that quite a few of the images of the new uploads Ancestry have done recently don't load.

I use various browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                  Are you using the basic image viewer or the enhanced one, Rachel?

I was using the High-quality images ... changed to Standard-quality, but am still not getting anything

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Yep thats what I did - switch between enhanced and basic viewer - still no image.

Comment

I didn't mean the image quality, but the viewer, Rachel. There is an option to switch between Basic Image Viewer and Enhanced Image Viewer, and I can only get the images to load using the Enhanced one.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

Oh thanks KR

Well it says that the Enhanced viewer is available if you use Explorer ...
                                        However, Explorer no longer works properly on the Mac

Tried switching to Explorer it but it's not getting me anywhere

Comment

Working...
                                        X