Barinla Chapter 208

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barinla Chapter 208

Has anyone heard of this? Or Barlnla Chapter 208, it is hard to tell if it is an i or l.

I have an Australian funeral notice which states:

"MOXHAM - Barinla Chapter 208 O.E.S. Members are invited to attend the funeral of their late founder, member Ann Moxham P.W.H. See family notice"

Her full name was Ann Christina Jane Moxham (nee England) although I can find no marriage for her. Ann died 20/1/1976 at Misson Holme, Redfern and she was 90 years old.

I can't find anything on google or in the white pages.
    Kit

Kit.............Was the OES an award??

There's something here

OES HISTORY

Comment

Libby I have no idea about this woman or the abbreviations around her name. Until I got the death notice yesterday I knew even less. I wasn't even sure she was married, I just thought she may have changed her name.

The link you found is interesting, I'm off for a better look.
      Kit

Comment

I expect you've already found/know this, but there is a Barinia in South Australia - 5453 - South Australia
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I was going to say sounds like a Masonic Lodge, and the website Libby posted has plenty of details about the Grand United Chapter of Australia, Order of the Eastern Star. Can't see Barinla as a place though. The Web site is showing that Chapter 208 is Swan Hill, on the NSW/Victorian border, so she might have been born/married in Victoria. Seems like the OES look after the elderly members with retirement villages etc, so may be she came to Sydney to be in care.
          Last edited by dicole; 07-01-09, 05:05. Reason: more info
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Joan no I didn't know there was a Barinia in South Australia but I do now. ;)

It sounded like a Masonic Lodge to me when I first read it, Di, but naively I didn't think there was such a thing for women.

I'm going to have to ring the NSW ladies to find any more info on my relative.
            Kit

Comment

Just rang and spoke to a lovely Elaine. Barinia Chapter was part of the OES but closed before 1985. PWM (not PWH as I put above) means Past Worthy Matron so it looks like Ann not only founded but ran the chapter for some time. Given the time frame all records would have been sent to Scotland when the chapter closed as they were running the Australian Chapters at that time.

Thank you everyone, esp. Libby for showing me where to look.
              Kit

Comment

Working...
              X