Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to replace my Desk Top any ideas ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to replace my Desk Top any ideas ??

Have decided to get a new PC but after popping into a few shops got quite confused which one ??
    What sort of memory and stuff would you recommend ???
    It will only be used for mainly my Family Tree and a few sites, no office work or anything.
    I did wonder about a Dell but their web site is a bit hard to understand .
    Thanks

The requirements you quote are so low that any computer could cope well with them.
    In fact if your current computer is working well I would suggest you waited until late this year until Microsoft release the replacement for Vista.
    If you buy now you may have slight compatibility problems next year.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Dont like the sound of that Guy so what happens to all us who have vista if they do that ???do you know ??
      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I bought mine from Dell, Val, although I did have to go through the whole specification process twice since the first time I clicked to confirm the order it just froze up and never went through. After that everything went smoothly although I didn't much like the automated phone call to tell me the delivery date, nor the fact that the delivery man asked me to carry one of the boxes in myself! But the computer is fine, cross fingers. I thought I would rather look at all the options on the website and choose what I wanted the computer to have rather than have to decide on the spot in a shop, but of course a shop should give you the human touch and hopefully there will be someone who knows what they're talking about there to explain it all to you. I would go for the highest specification you can afford so that it isn't going to be obsolete in a couple of years.

As for waiting for Windows 7, there's always another operating system on the way so if you want the new desktop now I wouldn't worry about it. We had Windows ME until we got this Vista one just before Christmas, and there was very little that we really wanted to use that wasn't compatible with it even though everyone else was on XP.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
          Dont like the sound of that Guy so what happens to all us who have vista if they do that ???do you know ??
          Dont worry babs... Vista's lifecycle is unlikely to be curtailed just because a new version is released.. XP is still supported by Microsoft, and Vista was released 2 years ago so you will still receive updates for the forseable future...
          For all we know W7 could turn out to be worse than Vista....

Val...

The question you need to ask is if your current PC does everything you need, why replace it ??
          If you still feel the need to replace it, then ensure you buy from a retailer who is able to guarantee support while the PC is under warranty... My recommendation at the moment would be John Lewis due to their standard warranties being quite good....
          https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for your replies
            One of the reasons I am thinking of replacing it is its so slow loading up now and I am not sure what I can or cant delete from it ,have tried to put all my Photos FTM and docs I want to keep on a Flash Drive but never sure if its done all of them.
            So I thought I'd get somebody to do a back up of everything on there then start again with a new PC , and hopefully just install those ,that sounds daft doesnt it ???
            Also after using a modern Laptop its seems so old fashioned now great big bulky thing.
            I could just buy a new Monitor but not sure how you go about that either .

Comment

Val - take a look at the link, I have two Sony pc's- its a good quality monitor - good performance - no tower (its all in the back) with wireless mouse and keyboard and OH uses his for a TV.

https://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle/b2c/display/(xcm=PCM_b2ccrmstandard&layout=15_114_61_50_115_11 9_2&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=3E9952F0304E7 370E10000002BC29B8F)/.do
              Kathleen

Comment

Working...
              X