Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage cert

Hi

can anyone tell me if a marriage cert would give me a date of birth?
    I
    have located my grandfathers(Richard Thomas Davies) marriage to Mary Jane Knock Pontypool 1910 11A Pg 341 and i have ordered it but wanted to see if it could give me more info on him as well as his father

Thanks
    Marie
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

No, it won't give you a date of birth. If you are lucky, it will give you an age - the age he SAID he was, mind you!

If you are unlucky, it will just say "of full age".

OC

Comment

It might be wise to have a look at the illustrated certificate guides in our wiki; they tell you what you might (or might not as OC mentions above) appear on the assorted certificates.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hiya
        Have:
        Births Jun 1873
        DAVIES Richard Thomas Pontypool 11a 136

Marriages Sep 1887
        Davies Richard Thomas Pontypool 11a 160

I don't see any other births up to 1893 in Pontypool. So looks like he from some where else.
        tugman

Comment

I must be missing something, Tugman, but I can't see a reason why the 1873 birth can't be the one who married in 1910? But hopefully the marriage cert will give an age, anyway. Also if he served in WW1 it might be possible to get his army records which might give info about when and where he was born (though of course there will be loads of people with the same name), then there will be the 1911 census soon which should help.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, and if you know when he died, you can get a copy of his death certificate which will tell you his age at death, although that isn't always very accurate because it depends on whether the informant knew the right age. If he lived to a very ripe old age and died after June 1969 then his death certificate would give his date of birth, not just age.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
            X