Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth registered twice?

Hi
    I am trying to trace the birth of my ggrandfather Thomas Davies born in Merthyr Tydfil Wales 1862.

Whilst checking on ancestry i have found a few possibles but also 2 entries one for Jan qtr and one for July qtr with the same vol and page nos.

Could this be a transcrition error or was this person registered twice?

Vol 11a page 279 Merthyr 1862

Thanks

Marie
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

It is probably just coincidence - they start at the beginning of the numbers each quarter.

If it is the same birth, there should be some indication of a cross reference between them - there may have been an alteration done.

A birth can only be registered once. Anything added/taken away is an amendment.

OC

Comment

The volume numbers and pages can be the same, even in different quarters, because of the way the GRO collects the records from the local offices.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks
        beginning to think i a spending toooo much time in front of this computer and seeing things

Marie
        My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
        Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

I have two parallel families (brothers) who married on the same day, had children at similar intervals and gave many of them the same name.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

my son is registered twice - the reason for this is me and his dad got married after he was born and we were told by law he had to be re-registered with his father legally on birth cert. hope this helps.
            **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you think there may be a transcription error, then it's always worth checking the actual image of the index. And you should always check the image before ordering a cert to make sure the page number hasn't been mistranscribed anyway. Looking at the index images for those quarters, there are actually two entries listed for Thomas Davies Merthyr Tydfil with page number 279 in the Jan-Mar quarter, so it looks as though there are actually two Thomas Davies on that page, and then there is one in the Jul-Sep quarter with that page number too.

There are so many Thomas Davies births listed in Merthyr Tydfil district in 1862 that I think you would be best to order the cert without quoting a volume and page number, but give all the info you have about him for the GRO or local register office to use to search for the right birth cert. For instance, his father's name and occupation copied from Thomas's marriage certificate, but of course that might not narrow it down enough either if his father had a common name and occupation such as Thomas Davies, labourer. If you've found him on the censuses and you're sure of what his mother's first name was you could put that on too. I would say the local register office for that district is probably a better bet than the GRO because the GRO will charge extra for this kind of search but the local office might well not, although they might charge for postage and packing, or you might have to send them an SAE.

Also, can you be sure he was born in 1862, or could he have been born in 1861?

Another possibility is if he has a brother or sister with a less common name, try to get their birth certificate although of course you would need to be sure they had the same mother as him or it wouldn't help so much!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The actor Peter O'Toole claims to have two birth certificates, different dates, one in England one in Ireland.

Comment

Working...
                X