X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please with 1871 census dilemma!

Hello everyone

I wondered if I could get your opinion on the following:

Joseph Hadley (1833) a pearl button maker from Birmingham is my 3x grt grandfather m mary in 1854. I can find them on the 1861,1881 and 1891 census (joseph dies in 1892).

i have trawled for an age on the 1871 with no luck but then just did a search for Joseph and Mary no surname and came up with the following:

RG 10 piece 3156 Folio 53 pg 10

All the children are the right age but the surname is Green

I am sure it says Augustus for one of the sons which is my grt grt grandfather.

Is this just a coincidence do you think? Or have I found them??

Have you looked for the "Greens" on the other censuses? If they don't appear then it could be that they are the Hadleys.
    Gwynne

Comment

Can we have the references for 1861 and 1881 to compare the names/dates etc.
      Elaine

Comment

Think I might have found the census refs
        RG9; Piece: 2161; Folio: 57; Page: 19

RG11; Piece: 2994; Folio: 35; Page: 24

.. and the 1871 Green family do seem to fit nicely!
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks for your replies Gwynne and Elaine. I will have a look at the green's on the other census. Elaine sorry I didn't give the other ref's.
          They do seem likely but to go from Hadley to Green is a very big leap unless Joseph told a porky for some unknown reason

Comment

Have you traced Joseph back - does the name Green appear in the family anywhere?
            It may have been an error made by the enumerator.
            Elaine

Comment

No I haven't got back any further with Joseph just to his marriage in 1854 so I need the cert to get his father's name. Funnily enough I do have Green's in the tree but not on this branch! But in same area!!

Ps I can't find the Green Family on 1881 Hmmmmmmm.....
              Last edited by Kaz in a Tizz; 06-01-09, 16:20.

Comment

I couldnĀ“t see the Green family in 1881 either.
                Elaine

Comment

Kaz,
                  I cannot help you with your query, but I have a problem as well. I also have a Joseph Hadley, Horn Button Maker from Birmingham.He died 6 May 1781 and was married to Bridget Fox. From his will, I note there were 5 children mentioned. Joseph M Charlotte child Joseph; Benjamin M ??????, child Matilda Louise; Bridget M Thomas Harris, children Caroline & Louise; Charlotte M Robert Wrightson, children Frances, Bridget & Joseph; Mary M William Lacey. I am wondering if this is the same family. Would like to chat further if this is so. Paul

Comment

Paul, it doesn't look like Kaz has been on the board for a long time, you can click on her user name and the option to send a PM <message> will come up and hope that she will get the message if she still has the same e mail addy

Edna
                    Last edited by clematised; 19-10-11, 22:14.

Comment

Working...
                    X