Who was Nance's eldest son ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was Nance's eldest son ?

I am open to any ideas how to find him.....

The Will of John Iliffe (died 1903, Melbourne Vic), leaves legacies to 45 individuals and 16 charitable institutions. Out of curiosity, I am trying to figure out who all the beneficiaries are. 13 are relatives (including my gg grandma), they are easy.

All except 6 of the others are women, some widows, some married, some spinsters (and so specified, and I have found most of them in NSW BMD or VIC BMD).

The most difficult - "the eldest son of Mrs Nance Grieves of Durham St, Bathurst (NSW), born before her marriage".

I have not found Mrs Nance Grieves or Mr Grieves in the electoral rolls, and no marriage of Mr Grieves to Nancy or Anne. Any ideas how to find the name of this son ?

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Di, does it definitely say Nance, or could it be something else? Any chance you could post up that bit of it so we can see what we think it says? Assuming it isn't typed, that is!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you're searching the electoral rolls on ancestry, they don't seem to have any NSW e rolls before 1930. I wonder whether pre-1930 ones are available at a record office or library?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kite

i cannot seem to copy the image of the will, I am working on it !! I think ancestry does have NSW e rolls, but I don't have a sub at present - there was one coming up for a Victorian Electorate - it could be her, as John Iliffe died in Melbourne, but I would think the address of Bathurst was current when he wrote the will.

Di
        Last edited by dicole; 06-01-09, 11:22.
        Diane
        Sydney Australia

Comment

I tried searching the e rolls on ancestry for no name, just state New South Wales and putting in a date (starting with 1903 +- 5), and there were no matches for any date I tried before 1930. I'll see if I can find the official info on which dates are included for which states in a minute but I'm just doing something else on ancestry at the moment...
          KiteRunner

Comment

Di...There's a Nancy Grieves at 52 Nelson Rd Newport in 1919. That's the closest I can find.......have tried Nance, Ann Anne, Hannah, etc.

Would you like the whole family??

Comment

hi Kite,

I think the NSW State Library has older electoral rolls, organised by electorate, I can always go there and look. I might be able to find Nance with a Mr Grieves, and maybe a grown up son ?? But maybe woment did not get to vote that early !!

I dont seem to be able to figure out how to add the image to this message. You could look at the entire will on the website, but that's asking a lot - its 7 pages !!

If I can work it out I will try again, but I am going to bed soon !! I think I will put it back in the TOO HARD basket for now

Di

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Just checked the "about this database" info, and the only NSW e rolls it lists are 1930 and 1936.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Libby

yes please, even if I am able to eliminate them, its one less to check later. is that from Sands ?

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia

Comment

Even if women aren't listed in 1903 then if you found a Grieves family at Durham Street, Bathurst, it would be a good starting point, wouldn't it?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Women got the vote in NSW in 1902 and Vic 1908 (from memory)

The rest are...George Robinson Grieves (machine operator)
                      Margaret......(home)
                      Mary.......(home)
                      Nancy....(dressmaker)
                      Thomas Henry...(skilled labourer)

I can't find any marriages around the right time for a George or Thomas Grieves in NSW or Vic.

Comment

Oh, this might be useful:
                        New South Wales Family History - Document Index

I haven't come across it before, so I don't know how much membership costs etc but thought I would post up that link so I don't lose it before I start looking for the info about membership. By the way, Bathurst comes under Macquarie in the 1930 e roll so may well be in the same district earlier on?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

This is the membership info, and it costs 44 Australian dollars (or 40 for those of us not in Oz), so it only looks as if it would be worth joining if you have quite a few things to look up on there:
                          https://www.ihr.com.au/register_1.html
                          KiteRunner

Comment

The IHR website might be useful. I think I looked at it a long time ago, but decided there was not much there i could use, at the time. Might be of more interest now.

Trouble is I have no idea how old any of them are, except that in other parts of the will, those known to be under 21 have arrangements noted for the bequest if they are still under 21 when John dies, so I think the son was over 21 in 1903. John's only (acknowledged) was born in 1867, so the son could have been around that age too.

Thanks Libby I will look at them a bit more closely, Off to be now, its getting late. Will look more tomorrow.
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia

Comment

Should have looked there first - I just found that NSW State Records has a Deceased Estate File for John Iliffe, which is interesting, because the Will was probated in Victoria. So, its off to State Records to get a look at it - I can chase up a few other items as well.
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia

Comment

Diane........

How did you search for it in the State records??? I'm sure there must be more on my Ariels there but I don't seem to be able to get much in a search (except "ariel" photos of places....lol)

Comment

Hi Libby

I just used the KEYNAME search in the "State Archives" drop-down menu for ILIFFE, there were not many !! Then I just searched through each category. I was surprised to find the Deceased Estate file though.

There is an ARIEL listed in the Divorce File (Annie Mary and Myles Kirby Eyre), and four listings in the Unassisted Migrants.

Di
                                  Diane
                                  Sydney Australia

Comment

Thanks Di.....I've got those. I just thought with the life they led, there would be more...lol

Comment

Didn't get involved with the government much -like mine I guess, a few land transactions and deceased estates are about for all of mine. Patience Libby, one day they will put more on-line.

BTW Have you noticed how many more cemetery records are now on-line ? Between them and the Ryerson Index, it makes a mockery of the BDM Registrars not releasing the indexes to deaths beyond 1978. I can find nearly everyone who died since 1978 in NSW !!
                                      Diane
                                      Sydney Australia

Comment

Just thought I would resurrect this thread and report that I think I have now found Mrs Grieves/Grives and the son born before her marriage !! Don't know why I did not pick up this spelling variation before !!

Nancy Edwards married John GRIVES at Bathurst NSW in 1872 !!

Born to Annie Edwards - an unnamed daughter, in 1869 and a son John in 1871 at Bathurst.

John and Ann/Nancy Grives went on to have 9 children at Bathurst and Hill End.

With such common names as Ann and John Edwards, and the fact that they all seem to have moved to Sydney will make tracing them further, more difficult. But the Grives children seem a bit easier and I will follow them up.

Di
                                        Diane
                                        Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                                        X