Buried by Coroner's Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buried by Coroner's Order

My 3g grandfather died on 8th October 1852 and was buried on the 11th “By Coroner's Order”. The death certificate was dated 31st December 1852. Does that mean the inquest was not held before he was buried? If I'm trying to find a newspaper report of the inquest should I be looking in October or December or even January? Any ideas about what was going on please?

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

What was the cause of death?

Comment

What was the cause of death?
      He was "Accidentally killed by a wagon passing over him"

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Perhaps the inquest was held after he was buried, as the cause of death was known, and an inquest would have only clarified the circumstances. If it was an accident, I would look close to the date of death for a newspaper report. The death might not have been registered until the inquest was finalised - who registered the death, the coroner or a relative ?
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

You don't need a death cert to have a burial if there is to be an inquest.

When OH's aunt died suddenly there was to be an inquest and we obtained a paper from the coroner to give permission for burial.

A death cert is only issued after the inquest as only then is cause of death established.

Look for a newspaper report of the inquest just after the date the death certificate was issued not the date of death.

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Thanks all of you, that's helpful. So as I understand it, then, the Coroner's Order is to allow a burial to take place before the inquest, as the death certificate isn't issued until after the inquest. So for newspaper reports, close to the date of death may give me a report of the accident, and there could be an inquest report soon after the date of the burial certificate. I'm just left wondering why it seems to have taken over two months to get round to an inquest.

Penelope, this was in the depths of Gloucestershire, so our ancestors didn't have an unfortunate meeting!

scuda

Comment

Even today, inquest might take place ages. This might be due to illness of the coroner, backlog of work, importance of the inquest etc. Presumably, as has been stated above, there might be more urgency if actual cause of death had to be ascertained, as opposed to the circumstances surrounding the death.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

And a burial is "reversible" if the need arises, whereas a cremation is final.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Phoenix and UJ. Yes, if he'd just dropped down dead in the street his body would have been needed in order to ascertain the cause of death, but in this case the coroner was more concerned with discovering the facts surrounding the accident.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                    X