http;//govcourtsrecordsuk.com/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http;//govcourtsrecordsuk.com/

Anyone have access to the above site. Wanted a single look up for william hays ( see this weeks WDYTYA), cheltenham Quarter sessions 1832.

Seems a bit wasteful to join the site for a date/p;ace which may not be on there.

Best wishes Happy days

Have you had a look at Gloucestershire Archives website - you may be able to order a copy from there?
    Gloucestershire County Council - The copying service
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you. Yes. They only have the bare details of the conviction. It's the actual file i am after with details of William.

Many thanks for your interest. Happy days

Comment

I'm a bit dubious about that site, having looked at the website.

They're offering some types of information that I wouldn't have thought would be in the public domain, and some types that simply don't exist in the UK, only in the USA.

I suppose they may have some UK information, but I would doubt that it's as comprehensive as the website suggests.

It certainly isn't an official government site, just a commercial website.

Comment

If Gloucestershire Archives don't have the file, then doesn't that suggest that it no longer exists? In which case the website you mention wouldn't be likely to have it either.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you for the replies. Brick wall - clutching at straws. Thought if someone was a member, a look -up would fill the bill.

Best wishes Happy days

Comment

I wouldn't touch the site with a barge pole for both current and historical information. Clearly US based, it purports to offer some information which is a criminal offence to supply and breaches the Data Protection Act.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks for that Phil.

Just as a rider to what has said before. I would still like to know where crime files are kept - wouldn,t think they go to , say, gloucester archives. more of a legal matter.

Very best wishes Happy days

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you, Harry, but I don't think many old files have survived. What there is will be in the local RO or at Kew.

Research Guide: Assizes - Criminal Trials - Your Archives

Sources for the History of Crime and the Law in England

Tracing 19th and 20th Century Criminals
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-01-09, 13:44.

Comment

Thanks Mary. Sounds interesting.
                    Much appreciated Happy days

Comment

Working...
                    X