unconcecrated ground....i have 3 of my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unconcecrated ground....i have 3 of my

ancesters burried in unconcecrated groundeek:..is there any way i can find out why?i have the grave numbers....brenda xxx

Bren

It usually just means they were not buried in the section of the cemetery which was set aside for Church of England burials. they were probably a different religion - Methodist, Catholic, whatever.

(I'm assuming it is a cemetery burial and not a churchyard burial?)

OC

Comment

thankyou yes they were baptist,and some went as missioneries thankyou OC.brenda xxx

Comment

It can mean that they have taken there own life.

Comment

This is an interesting website about unconsecrated burials -

Unconsecrated Burials of Britain - the history, stories and legends
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Maybe it depends on the time frame Brenda. I know that years ago people who had committed suicide weren't allowed to be buried in unconsecrated ground. I would have thought that 3 in one family would be another reason though.
            I would have thought that a different religion would only have been buried in a different section though - not unconsecrated ground
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I would have thought that a different religion would only have been buried in a different section though - not unconsecrated ground
              Consectrated ground is only for Church of England burials and probably some people who consider themselves vaguely C of E! About half my ancestors were not C of E (ie actively some other denomination) and none of them are in consecrated ground.

Comment

Working...
              X