Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma/No marriage

Hi Sorry if this is a bit long winded.

Sadly I have come to the conclusion that my mother’s parents were never married. I have searched again and again for the marriage, starting when the records were at St Catherine’s House and finally trawling through all the indexes on Ancestry up to 1930 when my grandfather died.
    They were Thomas George ROBERTS & Clara (Agnes) KING. Thomas’ middle name George is confirmed on 6 certs and his occupation was always connected to woodworking. My mother’s birth cert gives her mother as Clara Agnes; my aunt’s birth cert just Clara and Clara’s death was registered without a middle name. I do not have her death cert but do know when and where she died.

I have found them in 1901 living at 49 Ardleigh Rd Hackney.

Thomas Roberts head age 36 Wood machinist born Elstree, Herts.
    Clara Roberts wife age 29 born Liverpool
    Gladis Roberts dau age 2 born Finchley
    Mabel Roberts dau age 3 mths born Finchley
    RG13; Piece: 228; Folio: 153; Page: 17

By 1903 they had moved to Leyton, Essex which unfortunately did not get included on the 1911 test site.

In 1891 I found 2 likely candidates for my grandparents living just around the corner from each other in Hackney although this Thomas Roberts’ birthplace was Shoreditch and not Elstree. I was able to trace both of them back through previous censuses quite easily even though they had very common surnames. BUT THEN my daughter pointed out that the 1891 Thomas was down as being married. I can’t believe that I hadn’t noticed this. My daughter then sent for the marriage certificate for Thomas George Roberts & Rachel Elizabeth Waud at Shoreditch in 1885 and I am 99% certain that he is the same Thomas from 19 De Beauvoir Rd in 1891.
    Marriage took place at Register Office Shoreditch, Middlesex on 28th March 1885
    Thomas George Roberts 22 Bachelor Leather cutter 33 Harman St Father Thomas Roberts French polisher.
    Rachel Elizabeth Ward (amended to Waud) 21 spinster 33 Harman St Father William Waud Gold printer. Witnesses A Ingle? & E H Roberts.

Can anybody find Rachel in 1891?
    Can anybody find Rachel & Thomas in 1901?
    Any help much appreciated. Census references below.
    Moggie
    P.S Thomas Roberts age was given as 54 in 1930 when he should have been 64/5. Death registered by his youngest son although Clara was still alive.

1871 Rachel Waud (transcribed as Wand) born c1867 Bishopsgate.
    RG10; Piece: 447; Folio: 44; Page: 20

1891 at 19 De Beauvoir Rd Hackney
    Thos Roberts Head widr age 62 French Polisher
    Eliza H Roberts age S age 28 Housekeeper
    Thomas G Roberts M age 26 Machine Sawyer born Shoreditch
    RG12; Piece: 190; Folio 65; Page 51

1891 at 29 De Beauvoir Sq Hackney
    Tresa King age 49 born Dublin
    Clara King age 19 born Liverpool.
    & others
    RG12; Piece: 190; Folio 35; Page 64

there is a Rachel Waud marrying again in London/Middlesex in 1889. perhaps she was a bigamist and he couldnt remarry because there was no divorce?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Hi Lensgirl
      Thanks for the info. I have checked it out and I think she married Charles Edwin Layton. I found them in 1901 but Rachel was aged 53 so was possibly the younger Rachel's widowed mother.
      Moggie

Comment

Working...
      X