Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, my name is Brenda and I am from Montreal, Quebec Canada, anyone care for some snow? I started my family tree about 8 years ago, and to date have been able to collect alot of info about my WHALLEY/CHADDERTON/RILEY/SLATER families........however there are 2 pieces of info that I am still missing
    The death of my great grandfather ALFRED WHALLEY
    He was born in Lancs,in 1872 HENRY WHALLEY/WALLEY and GRACE HELLENS/HOLLAND.He married my great grandmother BETTY RILEY in 1891at All Saints.I have a passenger list from 1906, that states that Betty was travelling to WINNIPEG CANADA with her 2 daughters , to join her husband, I have been able to locate a passenger list for ALFRED from 1896.Now i know that my grandmother GRACE WHALLEY had returned to England some time before 1912, as I have a passenger list for her RETURN to canada, which states that she had been in canada before for 3 yrs......Grace returned to the UK again in 1919, now as a wife, and mother, surname is now CHADDERTON,In 1927 Grace once agin returns to Canada,and the passenger list states that her closet relative if the Uk is her Father at 97 Hartley Street, Burnley,however I recently found a burial certificate for Alfred's wife Betty here in Montreal, which states that she is the widow of Alfred,based on that I am assuming that Betty returned to Canada, when I dont know,I have not been able to locate a death for Alfred anywhere.Does anyone have any suggestions?

James Slater Chadderton, born 1891 , Farnworth Bolton,to John Chadderton and Ellen Slater
    James returned to Uk 8 nov 1920, from Montreal, I cannott find any info on him after that date.......his wife was Grace Whalley......

This is driving me insane, I want so badly to know where he may be buried as I would love to let him know that he was never forgotten
    Researching.......CHADDERTON , GILLETT, WHALLEY, RILEY, SUDWORTH ,COTTAM, DAWSON,HACKER....ALL FROM LANCASHIRE

is this him in 1891?
    Alfred Whalley born c 1872 Lowerhouse, Lancashire

Relationship to head of house - Son-in-law
    Spouse's Name - Betty

Parish - All Saints, Habergham Eaves
    Town - Lower House

Household Members
    Henry Riley 56
    Rose Hannah Riley 57
    Alfred Whalley 19
    Betty Whalley 19
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 05-01-09, 15:07. Reason: copyright

Comment

Just saying hello Brenda
      and welcome!
      Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Can you narrow the dates down for his death?

When you know he was alive and when his wife died a widow.

You need to find his death, get the death cert to see where he died and them try the local churches or cemetery to find a burial.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Reading your post again, its between 1927 and when?

Comment

Hi Alan, yes thats him along with my great grandmother, and great great grandparents, nice info, as I didnt know that they all lived together,I can see that this was born my great aunt was born in 1891 too.Anddddddd once agin a new name for rosanna, she has been everything from rose to rosa, to rosanne and now rose hannah lol. Thank you for that info.
          Researching.......CHADDERTON , GILLETT, WHALLEY, RILEY, SUDWORTH ,COTTAM, DAWSON,HACKER....ALL FROM LANCASHIRE

Comment

Hi Margaret,
            I am assuming that it was between 1927 and 1930. I suppose that he could have died here, but I dont know for sure if he ever returned to Canada and I dont know when he returned to Uk after leaving in 1896,maybe my nan returned alone prior to 1912, I do know that her sister Ethel returned as I have her marriage in Bolton 1913. The passnger list for 1919 states that grace is going to 137 cannon/common street Bolton.

Comment

just saying HI, and you can keep the snow lol

Comment

I'm just a bit wary about the address given, it is a street just off the main Accrington Road, the area looks to have been terraced houses but the street isn't that long although it might have been shortened by an industrial building at some point. The street today doesn't feature any houses (a car dealership takes most of one side and if i remember correctly the houses opposite were flattened to make way for some type of developement).

There is a chance that Burnley is a red herring for death registration of course, by the look of it the event is probably later than freebmd coverage at the moment.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

No obvious deaths showing on FreeBMD or LancsBMD for Bolton or Burnley.

So, it could be England or Canada?

Difficult

Comment

Possible death reg

On the basis that Blackburn isn't far from Burnley there is An Alfred Whalley whose death, age 52, is registered in 4th Qtr 1915 Ref; Blackburn Vol 8e page 512. It's a longshot but worth consideration.

Comment

You might already have these but i'll post them anyway, based on the Lancashire area as a starting point.

WHALLEY Alfred R aged 63 Manchester North (from freebmd)

WHALLEY Alfred K aged 56 Farnworth Bolton (from Lancsbmd)
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Yes could be either or.......I have searched the lovell directory here in Montreal from 1912 to 1930...with no luck, but they could have been living with James and Grace. I was shocked to discover that betty had died here,my father died when I was only 7, so i didnt know anything of his family, I was left my granma Graces birth certs and started my research with that.I never even knew my grandas name until I got Graces marriage certs.I cant locate his death either.This man has been eluding me for years.he was only 29 when he returned to the UK, I was thinking that perhaps he had more children along the way.

Comment

OMG I almost wrote on my nans passenger list !!!!!!!! The last known Uk address is 97 Hartley Street Burnley in 1927.

Comment

i have an image of the 1927 passenger list, if this will help, maybe you guys will see something that i dont????

Comment

If you have Access to Ancestry, they have an Immigration/Emmigration Site which has a few Alfreds returning.............but which one is yours. Strong possibility is the one who arrives back on Empress of France 31/12/1919 age about 60, which will knock out my Death Reg above.

Comment

I can see her burial but not one which will fit for him, checked Presbyterian and Methodist . Have you phoned the Register office Montreal - they were so helpful when I was trying to my husbands grandparents marriage certificate/act of marriage.

Last year I did eventually find them in the THE DROUIN COLLECTION his name was transcribed wrongly but spelt the alternate way my Canadian daughter-in-law suggested.

Jan
                                Last edited by deletejb; 05-01-09, 16:13.

Comment

First to Alan cant be him way to old,,,,,,,he was born 1872, but thank you just the same:D

Jb, yes I ve called them, and Have been politely told that since my name dont appear on the certs i will need a notary to get them !

The drouin collection is very good, I had no probs obtaining anything from them and they are very helpful

Were you referring to Alfred ?

Comment

hi and welcome brenda from another brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by brendaponting View Post
                                      Jb, yes I ve called them, and Have been politely told that since my name dont appear on the certs i will need a notary to get them !

The drouin collection is very good, I had no probs obtaining anything from them and they are very helpful

Were you referring to Alfred ?
                                      I was not allowed the info as I was not a blood relative - when they sent the forms at first --------- I thought there is no way are we going to be able to get the info as we are not Canadian (both Scottish).

That's when I phoned they said they would accepted, utility bill and photo evidence of my husband and a statement signed by him. So I sent a photo copy of husbands passport, our electric bill and a note signed by my husband saying why we wanted the info. Our name is not the same as great grandfather-in-law and that didn't seem to be a problem.

They also gave me a phone number so I would always get connected to a supervisor and not have to sit in a queue. They also gave me a web site address which I believe had birth death and marriage details but most off the site was in French ---

Yes I was referring to Alfred.

Comment

Working...
                                      X