James Brierley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Brierley

Can anyone help me to track down the Brierley family, they lived in Mount Street Stalybridge Chesire. Also of Hague street Ashton- u- Lyne in 1910.
    We have certificate for my mother saying her father was Charles Brierley and was employed as a carter. As far as my mother told me her father was James Brierley who was also a carter, born in 1880. James became a Grocer who had a shire horse and cart, near hague steps in Stalybridge. At that time they were then living at 43 Mount Shreet in Stalybridge.
    So the problem we have is who is Charles.We cant find any information about my mother and her family Is there anyone that can help me solve this mystery.

Hi Combipop and welcome to FTF!

Do you have your mother's birth certificate AND marriage cert, and if so, is the father's name the same on both? Are the certs absolute originals, copies from the local Register Office, or copies from the GRO? I have seen numerous mistakes on any kind of certificate.

OC

Comment

Hi OC
      We have got certiicate's for birth/marriage from Register Office on birth it says Charles and on marriage it says James.

Combipop

Comment

Coincidently and apropos to absolutely nothing we have an ancestor James Broughton from censuses etc. who's birth we could not find. We eventually found him christened as Charles [James] Broughton.

Could it not be a similar occurence in that he simply used his middle name?

Comment

Combipop, was your mother born before 1911? If so then maybe we could search for the family on the 1911 census?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

or find a marriage between the mother, and see what the father's name pops up as.

what's your grandmother's name and maiden name?

Comment

I have just been on freebmd and I searched for James and Charles Brierley. born Mar Qtr b1879 to Dec Qtr 1881....in Cheshire.....
              NO James Brierley on record
              ONE Charles
              Charles Fowler Brierley b Mar Qtr 1880 Registered at Ashton(Stalybridge)Cheshire.....ref No 8d 503.....allan;)
              any Fowler surnames appear in your tree ??
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
              X