Next of Kin Mother ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next of Kin Mother ???

why would a person joining the Army put his Mother down as next of kin ??? would you think it was because his Father had died ?? The parents were together in 1911 and I cannot find a death for him.
    This was in the first World War.

One of my ancestors in service in the Army in WW1 put his father's name down as next of kin and a subsequent note in his record shows the father's name crossed out and the mother's written beside it; so in my view highly likely his father had died, unless your soldier had had 'words' with his dad or dad had moved away and no-one knew where he was or if he was alive.

A
    Last edited by Anne Brown; 05-01-09, 12:12.

Comment

I agree with Ann.

Comment

Any possibility of "father" being the step-father?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

My g g uncle put his mother as his next of kin on his WW1 records. His father was alive and all living together.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Its not the same time frame but my son's always put me as next of kin.
            www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
            http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

Thanks for your replies ,he as far as I know was his natural Father, but as is usual with my lot maybe he died under a different name ????
              Thats interesting I would have thought they would always put the Fathers name if he was living ???
              I shall have to have another look.

Comment

My mother's brothers always put their mother as nok.(All were servicemen) Their father was a useless waste of space.

OC

Comment

lol OC sounds like mine ??

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                    My g g uncle put his mother as his next of kin on his WW1 records. His father was alive and all living together.
                    Same here with my OH's grandfather

Linda
                    LindaG

Comment

Hmmmm ... interesting

Grandfather's brother named their mother as next of kin (WW1) and on his casualty/death info 1918 (on the CWGC site) it has his father as 'late' :(

It was more than 2 years later that his father died, so I wonder if they didn't get on or whether it was just a mistake ... nobody to ask of course

I did query the death info with the CWGC but they couldn't help
                      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I have a couple of Marriage Certs where it says Father deceased but he wasnt ??? can make research very complicated.

Comment

How old was the father?

Is there any possibility that he was involved in WW1 as well? Perhaps having the female listed as next of kin solved the problem of changing it should the male next of kin be called up.

Comment

I have an instance of a mother being given as next of kin. I also have a sister given as nok in WW1 when both parents were still alive, although that may be because the brother and sister had emigrated to Australia.
                            Jenny

Comment

the Father was around 50 at that time.

Comment

My grandad put down his step-mother as next o kin - in preference to his father who was still alive and still living with the step mother at the time !

Comment

Perhaps his father was ill, so it was thought better to put mother's name as next of kin.
                                  Or could be that he didn't get on too well with his father, or had a particular closeness to his mother.
                                  Karen x

Comment

Thinking about this, if you were in the armed forces, you would want your mother to be the first to know of any incident.

My daughter went into the army as a career soldier and I was her nok until she married. Her father was alive, as was her stepfather, but it seems natural to me to put your mother down as nok.

OC

Comment

Another of my gg uncles (on a different line) put his brother as his next of kin, again, both parents were alive and kicking.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to this.
                                        My other grandfather evidently served briefly in the Army WW1 and has a woman I've not heard of as next of kin !!!

In the Relationship bit it has "mother" crossed out and then "No" and below the line says "adopted mother"
                                        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                        X