victualer/beerhouse keeper records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• victualer/beerhouse keeper records

OH was showing a slight glimmer of interest in his ancestors at the weekend and I want to keep the ball rolling before it wanes again

He had people running a couple of pubs in Newark for quite some considerable time. Neither of which exist. One made way for the new cinema built in 1932 and the other made way for the new road bridge over the east coast main line in about 1936.n I suspect that some sort of CPO may have happened although I am not sure whether they actually owned the pubs or were just running them. OH is quite keen for us to visit Nottingham archives 'to find out' but I need to know what we need to ask for. What records might we find for them?

Any advice?
    Rose

Well there should be licensing records. You have to hold a license to sell alcohol.

My grandmother kept a pub from 1926-1973. At first she was only allowed to sell beer and porter, her license didn't allow her to sell anything else. I think it was after the war she was allowed a license to sell wines and spirits too. She had to go to the county court to get the updated license.

Comment

Redacted
      Last edited by Penelope; 05-01-09, 13:39.

Comment

OH has a lot of licensed victuallers in his side of the family in the 19th century - mostly in London.

When you search the papers, if they are licensed victuallers records turn up in a paper called "The Era". You find records for changes of licensee.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Rosie

Have you looked on Picture the Past to see if you can find any photos of the pubs.

Lin
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

thanks for the replies.

No Lin - off to do that now lol
            Rose

Comment

sadly no pictures.

Right. If I take names of pubs and publicans with dates when they were there, the archive people will be able to direct me to the licencing records, is that right?
              Rose

Comment

I don't see why not Rosie

Good luck

Comment

thanks Margaret.

*prepares to drag OH to Nottingham lol*
                  Rose

Comment

Yes, you will find Victualling Licence Records at the local CRO to where the Pubs were. We did quite a lot of work on OH's relatives who managed pubs in Liverpool. I think you will find that most people just managed the pubs, as the Breweries tended to own them. If you are very lucky you may find that a book or even books have been written about your pubs of interest. Liverpool have written two books on the pubs on the Scottie Road, so we gleaned a fair bit of information from that before we went to the Liverpool Record Office. Try googling for books on pubs in Nottingham to see if anything turns up, Amazon may be a good start or find a bookshop online in Nottingham to see if there is anything. The records themselves do not give tremendous detail, but you get the name of the pub and where it is and which brewery owned it, and you can follow the record through the years until the person disappears at either end, so you get an idea how long that person was there, a bit like trawling through a trade directory. We found many relatives managing pubs, some we did not know about.

Did a quick google and just found this one. There might be others and even if Out of Print, you may be able to order up from your local library.

Looking for love online? Hop on over to lovereviewer.com! We've got the scoop on the hottest dating sites and apps, with honest reviews to help you find your perfect match 🐰💕 #SwipeRight

Good Luck
                    Last edited by Janet; 05-01-09, 20:28.

Comment

Thanks Janet, I'll have a look at that link.
                      Rose

Comment

If there were compulsory purchase orders I would imagine these would figure in Council meeting minutes, whch will probably also be in the archives.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Judith. I will make a note to ask about that as well.
                          Rose

Comment

Working...
                          X