X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with more will terminology, please

Again my great-grandmother's will:

This is what I have for one paragraph:

"I bequeath to Esther Abann? a Machinist at W E White & Son an Annuity of Two pounds per week free of all duties payable weekly and declare that such annuity shall be charged on my residuary personal estate to the exonera?tion of my ? estates."

Is the first query "exoneration"? Would this make sense.

The second word looks as though it has four or five leters. It might be "legal" but you can't see the tail of the g. This is the bottom line of hte page and hasn't photocopied well.

I assume the last word is "estates". It certainly looks like it.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Could it possibly be "real" estates? It is normal in Wills to distinguish between real estate and personal estate.

OC

Comment

OC, I also thought of "real estates", but the first letter looks like an "l" with a long stroke in front. If I get really stuck tomorrow I might scan it.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Just a wild guess, but it couldn't be one word instead of two - legatees - could it?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
        X