Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Florence's

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas about how to trace the Florence's who originally come from Staffordshire. I have been stuck with them for some time, and I really need some help with them, as basically, I have no idea.

My 3rd Great Grandfather was William Florence (Sometimes spelt Florance), who was born in about 1799 at Burton-Upon-Trent. He married Alice Hall (born 1800 at Rushington?, Warwicks) in 1820 at Pontesbury, Shropshire. He had several children, but they are always born in different parishes. William was a Brazier, at one point making Spectacles. He died in 1869 at Draycott in the Clay.

The only census record I have him on is the 1861, which reads;

William Florance - Head - 60 - Tinman & Brazier - Burton, Staffords
    Alice Florance - Wife - 58 - Rushington, Warwicks
    John Florance - Son - 21 - Labourer - Uttoxeter, Staffords
    Ann Florance - Daughter - 25 - Dressmaker - Stone, Staffords
    Sarah Jane Florance - Daughter - 17 - Yoxall, Staffords
    Sabrina Florance - Daughter - 14 - Scholar - Millage, Staffords

I have searched through the parish records for Burton, both conformist and non-conformist, and there is no sign of William, or another to Florence's, who appear on the 1871 Census, Edward (b. 1791) and Richard (b. 1793), who both say they are born in Burton, and are both workers of Metal.

Thanks in advance for and advice,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Do you have the reference for the 1861 census - I am having problems finding them.
    Elaine

Comment

Ignore that last question - have found them - for anyone else looking reference is RG9; Piece: 1957; Folio: 60; Page: 3
      transcribed on Ancestry as Lorance!
      Elaine

Comment

Sorry, I meant to put the reference in my original post!
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

No problem.

They really are a tough bunch to find in the census!
          The only thing I have got so far is Sabrina and Alice in 1871 - RG10; Piece: 2896; Folio: 46; Page: 11 - transcribed as Flourace
          Elaine

Comment

Great, thanks for the 71 data. I did not have that one. I see that the family have moeved again in the two years after William's death!
            Families Intrested in

Comment

Tippin

Right some local knowledge perhaps you don't know. I am from Burton on Trent.

Draycott in the Clay is a hamlet next to the village of Hanbury, close to Burton on Trent. It suffered the largest explosion during WW2 due to an ammunitions dump exploding. There is a huge crater there.

Which Parish registers have you checked for Burton? I may be able to help.

Oh, and are you sure its Florence and not Lawrence?

Comment

There are various entries on the IGI which you might already have - I´ll list them to see if it helps pinpoint the family in 1841 and 1851

all with parents William and Alice

JOHN FLORENCE
                Christening: 26 DEC 1824 Holy Trinity, Burton Upon Trent, Stafford,
                MARIA FLORENCE
                Christening: 17 APR 1831 Uttoxeter, Stafford,
                GEORGE FLORANS
                Christening: 22 AUG 1833 Burton Upon Trent, Stafford
                WILLIAM FLORENCE
                Christening: 28 JAN 1838 Uttoxeter, Stafford
                SARAH ANN FLORENCE
                Christening: 12 JAN 1840 Burton Upon Trent, Stafford
                JOHN FLORENCE
                Christening: 14 SEP 1842 Uttoxeter, Stafford
                SIBERINA FLORENCE
                Christening: 20 FEB 1848 Milwich, Stafford,
                Elaine

Comment

There was a newsagents in Burton called Florence's until only a few years ago.

Comment

Holy Trinity church has been demolished. The records will be in the local library as well as Stafford CRO.

Comment

I don't think the original Holy Trinity was built when William was born. From memory I think there have been three churches on the site. It's an Aldi now.

He would probably have been baptised at St Modwens, the Parish Church in the Market Place.

Comment

Elaine - Thanks for the IGI info. I have tried using christening data to locate the family on the 41 census, but I don't realy know if the family should be in Burton, Yoxall or Uttoxeter. I have checked all three, and also Draycott, but have had no look yet!

Margaret - Thanks for the messages. My grandparents still live in Burton, up Horninglow way. The name is defenatly Florence. It was my mother's maiden name, although my grandparents have told me that was origonaly Florance, but I do not know how far up this information comes from, the records (nearly) always show the name as Florence. Once the family had moved to Burton, there were all christened/married at Holy Trinity. They used to live in the court right next to the church. As for the records I have looked at, I have checked St Modwin's, and the non-conformist records at Burton library, but have found very little evidence of William. I don't realy know that much about pre 1850's history of the town, so I do not know if there may have been other chapels/church's in the town then.
                        Families Intrested in

Comment

Originally posted by Tippin View Post
                          I have tried using christening data to locate the family on the 41 census, but I don't realy know if the family should be in Burton, Yoxall or Uttoxeter. I have checked all three, and also Draycott, but have had no look yet!
                          I have just done the same can´t see them either!
                          Elaine

Comment

Hi Tippin

I live in Horninglow too.

Burton Library's collection of non conformist records are not good as I remember, very sparse.

I am certain that the age you give for William he would probably have been baptised at St Modwens. Holy Trinity wasn't built.

So, either he wasn't baptised or perhaps you missed it because of terrible writing.

Have you tried the non conformist records at Stafford. I think there is more there.

Comment

Tippin

The newsagents Florence's was in Waterloo St, any relation?

Comment

Have you put Horninglow in the search on the census?

It doesn't come up as Burton

Comment

Sorry about the delay in my reply.

I have looked at Horninglow for the Florence's, but there does not seem to be much of a connection, although it may be possible William came from there. I will have to go through the parish records for surrounding parish's I think!

As for the newsagents on Waterloo Street, I have no idea if there is a connection. If the newsagents was named after the owner's surname, then there is every chance, although my Florence's tended to live in Horninglow Street.
                                  Families Intrested in

Comment

Tippin

I think from memory it was a Ken Florence that had the newsagents. He sold out about 15-20 years ago.

If I can be of any help with local research please pm me.

Horninglow St and Waterloo St aren't that far apart.

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for the offer of help. If I come accross any thing and carn't get to Burton Library, I will defenatly PM you.

As for the newsagents, my great-uncle is called Ken Florence. I have no idea if it is him however. I will ask my mom and grandfather to see if they know.

Thanks again
                                      Tippin
                                      Families Intrested in

Comment

Working...
                                      X