Arnold Allen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnold Allen

Hi I am searching for Arnold Charles Allen born 1879 Whitwell Norfolk last found in 1891 census. I know he married a Frances Hannah ? dont know where or when. I also know that he is burried in Norwich with Frances and also Mabel Allen their daughter. Mabel died 1942 in Norwich and she married Frederick Goldsmith in 1940 in Norwich, I cannot find her birth cert. as I do not know where she was born. I would be very gratefull for any help I can get.
    Regards Joan

Hi Joan, and welcome to FTF.

Mabel was 22 when she died, so she should have been born around 1920, but I can't see a birth for her in Norfolk.

I've found Arnold in 1891; just looking for him in 1901.

Comment

According to the GRO index, Mabel Goldsmith was 22 when she died, which would make year of birth 1919 - 1921??

Haven't found a corresponding Norfolk birth on FreeBMD. Do you know any more about her parents, father's profession, other children?

Snap, Mary!
      Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'm drawing a blank here - I wonder if her parents actually married? If her birth was registered in her mother's maiden name, that'd explain why we can't find it.

Comment

I've had a look but cannot find a marriage for Arnold Allen or a birth for Mabel.

Was thinking the same as Mary.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

The only Mabel born in Norwich in 1919-21 where the surname and MMN are the same is Mabel Starling, but there isn't a matching Frances Hannah Starling.

Comment

There is a Mabel D Jobson MMN Jobson sept 1919 Aylsham which is the same district that Arnold Charles Allen was registered.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Her father was a stonequarry man. i think they must have been married as they are burried in a catholic churchyard

Joan

Comment

Hi I think they were married as they are burried in a catholic church yard. Arnold was a stonequarry man his father was Charles Allen married to Elizabeth Harding. I have most of the info on the Allens except Arnold and his siblings.
                  Joan

Comment

A Frances Jobson was born in Aylsham in 1863, but she would have been too old to be Mabel's mother.

Comment

I'm sorry if I take a long time to reply, but it's taking three or four minutes for each page to open!

Do you know if Mabel had any brothers and sisters?

Can you tell me anything about Frances Hannah's burial/death record/age at death?

Comment

I think they were married as they are burried in a catholic churchyard. Arnold was a stonequarryman and his father was Charles married to Elizabeth Hardiment. I have most info on the Allens but I am completely stuck on Arnold and his siblings.

Joan

Comment

Perhaps post 1920 Arnold married a widow with a young daughter?

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have no idea if she had any brothers or sisters. I will let you know the date Frances died tommorrow as I have to find it up. All three are in the same grave.

Comment

just to say sorry for putting the same thing on more than once

Comment

Here are Arnold's parents and two of his brothers in 1901, but Arnold isn't with them:

Class: RG13; Piece: 1825; Folio: 12; Page: 16

Comment

Originally posted by Joanetudds View Post
                                  Arnold was a stonequarryman and his father was Charles married to Elizabeth Hardiment.
                                  Maybe I'm looking at the wrong people on the censuses, then - I have an Arnold with father Charles, shepherd, in 1891, shown as married but no wife at home, and in 1901 the same Charles is a stockman on farm, married to a Mary Ann.

Where did you find them in 1891?
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 04-01-09, 21:16.

Comment

Found them in 1881: father Charles is married to Maryann E, which corresponds to this marriage and birth:

Marriages Dec 1875
                                    ALLEN Charles Aylsham 4b 245
                                    HARDIMENT Mary Ann E Aylsham 4b 245
                                    Leeder Edward Aylsham 4b 245
                                    Turner Esther Aylsham 4b 245

Births Dec 1849
                                    HARDIMENT Mary Ann Elizabeth Forehoe 13 120

so I have been looking at the right people.
                                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 04-01-09, 21:24.

Comment

Can't find him in the 1901 census, either on Ancestry or on the official 1901 site.

His brother Marshall's a lodger in Norwich, but Arnold isn't with him.

Comment

what was Mabels fathers`name on her marriage cert to mr goldsmith? did he& she have a child before she died?

just found the answer to that, (next door)

They had David Golsmith born 1840 Norwich i got his Birth cert. but it just gives you the name mabel Goldsmith formerly Allen.

That to me ints that her maiden name perhaps wasn't Allen
                                        Last edited by Jessbowbag; 04-01-09, 21:52.
                                        Jess

Comment

Working...
                                        X