Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could anyone put a date on these please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could anyone put a date on these please?

These are copies of photos given to me by my cousin, she is not sure who they are but thinks they are likely to be from her father/my mother' side of the family (they are cousins). Mum didn't recognise them & I was wondering if anyone could put a date to the pics to help us work out who they are.

Lynn

The gentleman is a little difficult as it's not a clear photo, the lady appears to be outfitted in the fashions of the 1860s, but older ladies sometimes clung to fashions in which they felt comfy in so it could be a photo from a later date, though I think it appears okay.

Comment

Erm thats a bit confusing, I was hoping they were later than that . The pics aren't great, as they are scans from a photocopy.
      Lynn

Comment

I've tried to do a bit of quick sharpening Lynn. Hope you don't mind. I can't help with dates though I'm afraid.

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie, thats great.
          Lynn

Comment

Chrissie great job! Lynn look at Wikipedia fashion for 1860, I think it might help you. Also now the photo of the man is clearer I think he looks to be from the same period.

Comment

as Barabara has already said both of these photographs would date from the 1860's period, The woman has what appears to be a shawl drapped over her arm whilst the other end seems to be held by the hand of the same arm. The wearing of such a garment would indicate to me a time period of between the late 1850's to the end of the 1860's. She is also wearing a bonnet that is set towards the back of head which again would indicate to me the period mentioned. As for the gentleman there is really not a lot to go on due to the darkness of the image. The only thing that may indicate a time period is the hat that is set on the false balustrade. Top hats, also known as a Lincoln & Bennett, a topper, a silk hat, a tall hat and even as a chimney hat, were reduced in height in 1865 (in England that is) and going by the height of the one in the picture it may be that it just predates this.

don

Comment

Many thanks Barbara & Don. It doesn't look like they are my rellies after all :(. How old would you say they were?
                Lynn

Comment

I would say the couple were "middle aged" as I don't think the photos really are clear enough to be more precise.

Comment

I've tried everything I can think of to make them clearer but I haven't found my way round my new programme yet. We need Rachel This is the best I've managed close up -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks ladies. I will email my cousin & see if she can email me copies, which may be clearer.
                      Lynn

Comment

about 40/45 brenda xxx

Comment

Thanks Bren
                          Lynn

Comment

Working...
                          X