Friend
    19.19%
    Google - please specify search criteria
    14.14%
    Family history magazine - please specify
    3.03%
    Other - please specify
    63.64%
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

I joined 11/12/2006, after being invited over.............and have never looked back
    Jacky

Comment

I was invited over January 2007 but did not really start using until January 2008. I have found the level of discussion and the friendly atmosphere of this site to be extremely good. Thankyou to all who make it work so well.

Janet

Comment

FTF was mentioned alot on the boards on GR so I had a look for myself
        researching
        Lingham (Sussex/Kent)
        Hayes (Kent)
        Gudgeon (Lancashire)

Comment

I voted other.

Well I used to ocassionally look in on GR but didn't like it very much (still don't I perhaps only go there once every six months) but then I spotted a thread and someone talking about FTF around spring of 2007 so went off to find it and take a look myself. Didn't join immediately and then joined in the July.

Comment

I voted other.

I wasn't around during the big kerfuffle on GR and wondered what people meant about 'the other side' after it all kicked off. Got an invite from Sherlock after voicing my curiousity and have hardly been back since.
            Rose

Comment

i was moaning on GR and a lady from here (sorry cant remember who) invited me over to this site.
              **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

i joined just after the site set up,it was a breath of fresh air from gr.i was invited over ...never looked back...thankyou for having me brenda xxx

Comment

I joined after Rachel Scand kindly restored two photographs of my great grandparents,and what a wonderful decision that was .

Comment

I'm another GR "refugee"
                    Cath.

Comment

I voted other.
                      I was a member of GR until all the hoo ha....then cheekily asked for an invite over here and got one.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne Brown View Post
                        I voted other.
                        I was a member of GR until all the hoo ha....then cheekily asked for an invite over here and got one.

Anne
                        And I'm the same as Anne!

Anne

Comment

Was a member of GR visiting the library to use a computer for an hour a week, but never looked at the discussions boards there until March 2007 when we got a computer of our own, did not like the attitude of some of the posters on there so rarely posted, saw the occasional reference to FTF so had a look...and lived happily ever after. Thanks Pippa & Russ.

Comment

was a member of GR and Polly gave me the link to the site..

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                            Raven's Family Tree

Comment

I missed the kurfuffle on GR that this site emerged from, must have been offline that day.
                              GR was starting to get on my nerves and was visiting it less which is probably why I missed it.

I think it was the second or third day that I saw it mentioned and Heather PT invited me.

Never looked back.

Think Heather is responsible for a lot of members being here. Is she still doing recruitment drives on GR? I never visit it now.

Comment

Its lovely to see some interesting replies on here but I was hoping some more recent members might reply.
                                Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I joined after googling but I was aware of 'the other site' from chat on genes. I joined this time last year.
                                  I am still a member of genes but use this site far more.
                                  It is more professional and informative in every way.
                                  Well done to all who set it up and keep it going - pats on backs all round.

herky
                                  PS I can't remember what my google search was
                                  Last edited by herky; 04-01-09, 16:38. Reason: adding ps
                                  herky
                                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Some people on GR were mentioning this site so I popped over to look. I hardle go to GR now. I didn't like the boards there, and I was quite reticent her at first.

I started using the Research Board, and then I started looking at the General posts. When I saw how friendly and lovely the posters were, I plucked up courage and posted myself.

This is my second home!
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:
                                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I voted Other. I was around when the keruffle was going on in GR but most of it went over my head. :o There were/are some very helpful people there but they kept disappearing! and then one day the OC posted saying it was her last day and actually mentioned where she was going to take up residence - up until then it had been that "secret place".
                                      Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Other

I had started using the community boards on GR, and kept seeing FTF mentioned. I asked what it was, and was informed that it was another genealogy site which was invitation only

Heather Positive Thinker kindly invited me........................and here I am!!

I have to say that I think the moderators do a fantastic job, and most importantly the members are very respectful of each other.

Joanne

Comment

Working...
                                        X