OPC sites are great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPC sites are great!

Just to remind folks that this excellent site CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS Genealogy is increasing in content over time.

There's an excellent searchable database with parish register and non-conformist entries, plus other material and useful links.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

The OPC sites are a great resource - can I plug the Dorset one - new stuff being added regularly
    Dorset OPC
    Elaine

Comment

Perhaps one of you Admin types could remove the county designation? - or otherwise adjust the title of the thread to something like "OPC sites are great!"

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have done that Christine. Apologies for hijacking your thread!
        Elaine

Comment

No need to apologise! I'm all for having similar recommendations grouped together where they can be found easily.

Christine

Comment

Is there an OPC site for Herefordshire or Staffordshire please?
            Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Can I plug LancsOPC Its wonderful..Theres new stuff being uploaded all the time transcribed by the dedicated volunteers..

OPC, Online Parish Clerk, family history, local history, free data, parish registers, census, Lancashire

Ive recently started transcribing for them and was highly delighted when I had the pleasure of transcribing my 3rd g grandfathers burial! I am well chuffed..

]

Comment

Dorothy, Im not sure of all the other OPC sites so have a look below and click OPC on the L it as it might help..

UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census transcriptions for the UK, On-Line
                Last edited by Northern Light; 03-01-09, 22:36.

]

Comment

Erm, how to put this...normally I absolutely ADORE the Lancs OPC site.

Today, and for a few previous days, I do not adore it. It is playing silly beggars and telling me there are NO EVENTS for Blackburn St Mary. There jolly well are, but if I want to see them I have to select "whole county" not "whole parish" on the search page.

I'm used to this as it has done this daft game before. But new users might go away mystified at the lack of church events in Blackburn!

OC

Comment

Has LancsOPC spread its net "north of the sands" yet? There's a remarkable shortage of info. for the area between Windermere and Morecambe Bay.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It seems to go a bit loopy when they are uploading new records ..but I still love it :D

]

Comment

There isn't one for Staffs as far as I know - not sure about Herefordshire. Have you tried FreeReg?

LancsOPC is great, but there's so much still missing. I've been looking for baptisms in Bolton, but drawing a blank so far. I wish they'd get a move on

Comment

I saw on another forum that Lancs OPC (which I also love) is having trouble getting more records from the area that used to be Lancs and is now Cumbria...........

Now that is my area....all around the Lakes district and Cumbria seems to have next to nothing, so I hope either Cumbria takes it up or allows Lancs to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            There isn't one for Staffs as far as I know - not sure about Herefordshire. Have you tried FreeReg?

LancsOPC is great, but there's so much still missing. I've been looking for baptisms in Bolton, but drawing a blank so far. I wish they'd get a move on
                            I found a part of the site - or a link from it - which covered Holy Trinity, Bolton. I emailed the OPC and and received a scan by return!

When I've got the time (and assuming memory continuity!) I'll look out the link for you.

Christine

Comment

I use several OPC sites, but the Cornwall site is the best for me.

It has helped me track my Quintrell family all around Cornwall, and I couldn't have done without it.

The Lancs. site is my next favourite.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I LOVE the Cornwall site and have said so before...........

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                  I found a part of the site - or a link from it - which covered Holy Trinity, Bolton. I emailed the OPC and and received a scan by return!

When I've got the time (and assuming memory continuity!) I'll look out the link for you.

Christine
                                  Sorry - it must have been St Mark's:
                                  St Marks School Fletcher St Bolton Church Weddings

In fact the site has lots of info about the school as well.

Christine

Comment

Thanks for looking - I did find baptisms for one of the Bolton churches on the LancsOPC site, but mine must have gone to one of the other churches.

Comment

Does anyone know if there is an OPC for Salop especially around the Madeley area?.
                                      Regards
                                      L

Comment

Not sure where Madeley is, but there is a Shropshire Look-up Exchange - another type of website that is a great resource.
                                        Shropshire Look-up Exchange
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X