Chadwick Birth Register problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chadwick Birth Register problem

Please bear with me - I have posted this on another forum also as I would be grateful For whatever help I can grab

I am looking for evidence of 2 births, Elizabeth Ann Chadwick (apparently born 1881 in Allerton Bywater, near Leeds) and Clara Chadwick (my great grandmother - born possibly 1882-1884 in Hunslet, Leeds) So far I have got absolutely nowhere with Elizabeth Ann no record for birth anywhere but appears in the censuses in 1891 and 1901.

Clara - my great grandmother was apparently born in 1882 according to her marriage certificate and according to the censuses of 1891 and 1901 was born in 1884 in Hunslet, Leeds and Leeds respectively. Unfortunately, once again no birth certificate.

I have however now found a Clarissa Chadwick, registered in Ardsley in 1883 (that is not too far away from either Allerton Bywater, or Hunslet).
    Would it be within the realms of possibility that it could have been Clara who was born in Allerton Bywater and not Lizzie Ann, further, could Clara be transcribed into Clarissa ?

If I could have some opinions that would be great, if anybody has any idea about the other birth certificate (Elizabeth Ann's) that would be brill too

Many thanks for any help I can get

I certainly wouldn't take census information as gospel - it is transcribed information at best and wide open to any number of errors along the way.

If you send for the cert for Clarissa and specify her father's name, it will only cost you £3 if it is incorrect. Or, if you approach the local Register Office it won't cost you anything if it is wrong.

But you do have to be ABSOLUTELY certain of her father's name, of course! If it differs by as little as one letter, the GRO will refuse your application and you'll never know if it was right or wrong!

Welcome to FTF, by the way!

OC

Comment

Hiya,

I would say there is a great possibility of Clarissa being shortened to Clara, is there not anyone that can check the parish records for you?

as to Elizabeth Ann I would also look out for an Elizabeth Hannah as well.

welcome to FTF
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

Welcome to FTF, by the way!

OC
        Thanks very much

I am certain of her father's name, down on marriage certificate as William Henry and also on death certificate as William Henry - can't check on birth certificate as mentioned before.

I am going to registry office on Tuesday for other certificates so will probably ask about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          Hiya,

I would say there is a great possibility of Clarissa being shortened to Clara, is there not anyone that can check the parish records for you?

as to Elizabeth Ann I would also look out for an Elizabeth Hannah as well.

welcome to FTF
          Thanks very much

The family are Catholic (I only found that one out as both my great great grandad William Henry and great great grandmother Mary were buried at the catholic cemetery and since then, found on the wedding certificate they were married at St. Joseph's RC church, stockport) and have no idea where to look for catholic parish records ! Have looked previously in the Leeds Family History Centre but was told Catholic churches keep their own records.

Comment

There IS an Ann Elizabeth in the right area, but in 1879...how consistent is her age on the census?

OC

Comment

William and Mary don't have any children with them in 1881... not to say that baby isn't with grandparents, I suppose!

RG11/4594 fo 111 p 39

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a Clara Chadwick birth registration in 1880 listed on the Yorkshire BMD site, sub-district Leeds West. Have you already ruled that one out?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  There is a Clara Chadwick birth registration in 1880 listed on the Yorkshire BMD site, sub-district Leeds West. Have you already ruled that one out?
                  Yes I have, parents are wrong but thanks for looking

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    There IS an Ann Elizabeth in the right area, but in 1879...how consistent is her age on the census?

OC
                    Age is consistent throughout, including death unfortunately, I thought of that one as well but thanks for looking

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                      William and Mary don't have any children with them in 1881... not to say that baby isn't with grandparents, I suppose!

RG11/4594 fo 111 p 39

Christine
                      I know that, but its an interesting thought, tieing in with OC thoughts about Ann Elizabeth, that's worth a looksie for this afternoon, but then again, which grandparents lol - William Henry's parents are non-existant (possible hanging in Corfu, no idea of when married, only know mother's first name), Mary's parents appear to have dropped off the face of the earth (were living in Stockport on the 1871 census nothing after).

Thanks for that - another interesting thought for a very intriguing family will have a look this afternoon to see if this could be plausible

Comment

Working...
                      X