Request for photo of 12 Howard st Bournemouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for photo of 12 Howard st Bournemouth

Is there anyone who lives in/visits Bournemouth who might be willing to look for 12 Howard st for me? Some of my OH's near relatives spent a number of years living/visiting at this address and I am wondering if the original house is still there.

In those days, it bore the name "Frome Bellet" in memory of estates that once belonged to the family, but I will hardly be surprised if that is no longer the case.

Thank you for taking time out to read this.

Beverley

Well, I would! But I've never heard of it! lol

There's only one Street in the Borough of Bournemouth (Orchard Street)

Any further clues as to the location?

Comment

The address was garnered from incoming passenger lists, Merry. I've done a Google search and the only likely one that comes up is Howard road. I've checked another niece who went to visit there, and she put road, rather than street...so maybe that is it

Beverley

Comment

Ah, Howard Road. My great-aunt lived there in about 1970! How old would the property need to be for it to be the right one?

Comment

Well, gt uncle Hubert Arthur went to visit the maiden aunts in 1935....that was the most recent visit. I have a feeling the maiden aunts may have returned to Australia after WW2

Beverley

Comment

When I used to travel that road going back and forth to school on my bike in the 1980's all the properties were fairly large 1920's family houses.

However in the last few years there's been a tendency for these big houses to be knocked down and blocks of flats built instead. I've not been down Howard Road for years, so have no idea if this has happened there, but I would put the chances as 50:50!

I'm quite happy to go and have a look some time in the next few days.......

Comment

See here:

Houses for sale, new homes for sale Queens Park in Dorset, estate agents Queens Park, property for sale and rent, new houses for sale, letting agents

number 72 gets a mention! That's typically what they were like.

Comment

Thank you Merry. I am quite prepared to be told it is all council flats...or worse

I was lucky enough to find the house where the maiden aunts lived in Kensington and take a pic of that when I was last over, but although I knew they had moved to Bournemouth later, I had no address at that time.

Is there anywhere that keeps records of occupants of houses in Bournemouth for that era? The maiden aunts' widowed mother may well have returned there as I can't find her death in Australia. If I could find her living with her daughters, I could divert the search to the UK

Beverley

Comment

All the electoral rolls and directories and stuff are at Bmth central library and go back to around 1890 I think.

I can go and look there too, once the children are back at school (after next Tuesday)

Let me know who I'm looking for!ol

Comment

One of my old clients lives in Howard Road. The area is quite posh and is near the Queen's Park golf course so attracts erm *cough* yuppie *cough* types. There are many large houses there still and my client (living at the high numbered end) lives in one of these. Very nice, just dont mess up the posh white carpet!

I'm afraid I'm without a car at present so I'm not much help to you atm.
                    Hail Spode!

Comment

Emma Charlotte Gould, relict of John Henry Gould. She was still living in Bendigo, Victoria in 1909, but I've not been able to pick her up since.

I did find a possible death in Bournemouth for 1925, but it is not the most uncommon of names...and without knowing for sure she went back to England, haven't opened up my purse strings to buy possibly duff certs.

Emma was born Emma Charlotte Archer, 1841, Woolwich, Kent. The daughters she may have been living with were Edith and Mabel Gould....and there was probably a cousin, Susan Rennie, sharing the house with them as well. The visitors from Australia would have been Emma's grand daughter, Husey Gould (arrived 1925), nephew John Wentworth Gould (arrived 1928) and brother-in-law Hubert Arthur Gould, who brought his large family to visit in 1935.

No wonder the aunts decided to come back home...they must have got sick of the visitors :D
                      Last edited by Macbev; 02-01-09, 18:53.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post
                        One of my old clients lives in Howard Road. The area is quite posh and is near the Queen's Park golf course so attracts erm *cough* yuppie *cough* types. There are many large houses there still and my client (living at the high numbered end) lives in one of these. Very nice, just dont mess up the posh white carpet!

I'm afraid I'm without a car at present so I'm not much help to you atm.

Thanks for the input :D This is a family living on faded delusions of grandeur, so I imagine they felt right at home. Even the most humble of their dwellings in Australia got lumbered with the names of the former grand estates As did their poor kids !

Beverley

Comment

Howard Road is one my faverite roads in bournmouth

sadly i have no camera at moment

electoral rolls are easy to seach merry as i was there last week doing hw for joan
                          kellys is also there

if you cant make it i can
                          wye surrey/london/birmingham
                          lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                          hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                          ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                          herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                          armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

I've just been looking on a map and number 12 would only be a couple of hundred yards away from my "faded delusions of grandeur" cousins in Richmond Park Road. They died in the late 1930's. Perhaps they knew your aunts?!! lol

My lot managed from 1850-1930 on an inheritance of £1000 from their father who died aged 32. This kept them, and their mum who died in 1895, in the "circumstances to which they had become accustomed" and they didn't need to work! They occasionally sent begging letters to my grandfather, but I don't know that he helped them very often.

Comment

I really don't know what this lot lived on, Merry. The cousin, Susan Rennie, was the sole survivor of her little family and probably inherited a comfortable income. She lived for ages in Camden Gardens, Kensington and the Australian cousins were there as well in 1901.

The Australians didn't really seem very prosperous, as far as I can see....especially OH's particular ancestor. They seem to have made a habit of trying to become landed gentry again and going bankrupt in the process.

Beverley

Comment

found this web site today you might find it interesting
                                Winton Forum - Bournemouth, UK
                                and this one just found
                                Last edited by tinkerbe; 02-01-09, 20:42.
                                wye surrey/london/birmingham
                                lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                                hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                                ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                                herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                                armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Thanks for that Tinkerbe....I'm enjoying browsing around the web pages

Beverley

Comment

Guess what one of OH's cousins found in her box of photos today ?

That's right.....Aunt Edith's 'mansion' at 12 Howard road Bournemouth :D

And a photo of Emma Charlotte Gould, Edith's mama who went back to England to live.

Beverley

Comment

Oh nice one.

I wonder if the street has been renumbered as otherwise there should be a lot of infill numbers such as 10a and 10b, 12a and 12b etc. None of the houses there now have a large garden (if you don't think that garden is large - it is for here! When my Aussie cousin visited here a couple of years ago, she couldn't believe how close the houses were built!).

Comment

Merry, I've seen those wee English backyards.....I reckon if you sneezed the neighbour would have to reach for the tissue

The cousin also told me that Edith's banker brother Hubert (the one who came to visit in 1936) was a gambler and that was why Edith and Mabel had to come home to Australia....he'd gambled their houses away. :o

How do I find out who owned houses in the UK? I'd like to check up on the Howard road property and the one in Notting Hill, now I've heard that story.

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                                        X