No announcement yet.

Talk about a Rip off!!!... WARNING!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about a Rip off!!!... WARNING!!!!

I was gobsmacked to see this!!!

Scroll down and look at the PRICE

Ancestry Shop|Birth certificate

Not only do Ancestry want to charge alot for any sort of subscription they also want to rip folks off that don't know any better.

NO - ONE should pay any more than £7 per cert. Use link below for £7 certs

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Wow!! Now that is a real rip-off!! Disgusting!:(
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Thats obscene!! Definitely playing on playing on people who have no idea of the correct procedure and costs.

Comment

Blimey, that is daylight robbery, its disgusting
        Vikki -
        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Not sure how they manage to justify that one!
          Lynn

Comment

Outrageous. I think Ancestry are pushing their luck to be honest.

Unfortunate for people that are not aware that you can send for them for £7 directly from the GRO.

Probably a lot of people abroad will get sucked in to it sadly.

I really think that someone in authority should stop them making money on BMD certificates from the GRO after all they haven't spent any time or money on the original entry or extraction of them only the the index which quite frankly doesn't tell you much.

Comment

Cost of cert plus £12.99 handling, p&p and vat (bet they haven't factored in the recent reduction either!!).

There are worse examples out there,

After the efforts highlighted on FTFG a while ago that seemed to stop the highest charging firms being top match on google it's strange that Ancestry now top the sponsored results, and of those shown above there are a couple of cheaper options that still excedd local/GRO prices.
              Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 02-01-09, 13:39.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

It might just have been acceptable as recovering staff time-costs in a situation where you were helping someone who wasn't computer literate to order online - but anyone who reaches that page must, surely, be able to manage ordering online from GRO for themselves.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes that is if they know they can order online from the GRO the people that reach that page will be 'new' subscribers (a lot from abroad as well as the UK) or novices that are just starting out perhaps and won't know that there is another avenue/website to go to. Ancestry won't advertise it.

Comment

OMG!! The 'express' service which is upto 6 working days is 40 quid!
                    Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                      it's strange that Ancestry now top the sponsored results, .
                      Not strange at all. Sponsored Links are paid for and I guess the more you pay the higher you are.

Linda
                      LindaG

Comment

I guess the extra cost is for the fancy envelope it comes in according to their picture.
                        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Gobsmacked, I am!

I am grateful to the ancestry site for all sorts of things but for certificates I always apply to the GRO or the register office and never pay more than £7.
                          Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Lindag View Post
                            Not strange at all. Sponsored Links are paid for and I guess the more you pay the higher you are.

Linda
                            Aaah

That explains the big jump in the sub then
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

would it be an idea to put the link up where we get them for £7 and keep the link so when we need to send for a certificate we can click on it.i have saved it to my fav,but new ones wont know they can get it for £7.brenda xxx

Comment

can you get the original copies for 7 pounds at the locals ro's?
                                would they send them to australia do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                  can you get the original copies for 7 pounds at the locals ro's?
                                  would they send them to australia do you think?
                                  KyleJustin,

you cannot get a BMD cert from a local RO, it has to be either from a register office OR from the GRO at Southport.

Click on the link below and it will take you to the GRO site,

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

they WILL send certs out to ANYWHERE in the world, some of our Aussie members have sent for certs from the GRO and only paid the same as us in the UK I think.

Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just to confirm Julie's comment, certificates from GRO cost £7 which includes worldwide postage.
                                    Elaine

Comment

i know the gro does, i meant the local register offices in each county. i thought maybe it was libby was commenting that they were a little more expensive, and wouldn't deliver to her in qsld?
                                      soz if it makes no sense, its the vodka :o

Comment

Local Register Offices WILL send certs overseas, but you might be charged postage and there is often a currency exchange problem, so in your case, I'd order from the GRO who have a more sophisticated system.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X