Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which ones to order

Good morning all, and happy new year.

I was wondering if I could ask for your opinions please.
    On the 1911 census for my GGG grandparents it shows they had 7 children but 5 died, I only knew of 5 children and 3 dying, anyway I went off for a search and found 2 possible candidates

Births
    1865 2nd Qtr Rhoda Hinson Shoreditch
    1865 2nd qtr Walter Hinson Shoreditch

Deaths
    1865 2nd Qtr Rhoda Hinson Shoreditch
    1865 2nd Qtr Walter Hinson Shoreditch

Their parents were Hannah Rhoda and Walter Hinson, and they married in 1864, their first child (that I was aware of) was Ada Sarah Hinson born 1866 Shoreditch.

Now money is tight at the moment, so ordering all 4 would be a bit too extravegant,
    The births would confirm parents, but not how they died
    The deaths might give me the parents names but not when they were born (or would it?)
    I am guessing they are twins but nothing more then a hunch to go on.

I can justify 2 certs, which 2 would you buy.
    2 Births
    2 Deaths
    1 of each for Rhoda
    1 of each for Walter
    birth for one and death for the other

Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

I have been in this position myself and went for the death certificates. They do tell you age at death so therefore you can work out the birth.

It is a safe bet they are your family, the reason I went for the death certificates was because I would have always been wondering what they died of my twins died within a few weeks of each other from different causes do not assume they died on the same day.

Regards
    Jill

Comment

Death certs for children should have "son/daughter of......" entered in the occupation column. This will help to confirm the parents fairly well. The age given may quote days in the case of a newborn or months once the child gets a little older.

In similiar cases i have always gone down the death cert route, i just feel it is better to show a definate death date and acknowledge the fact that there are children who would otherwise look like they have been forgotten or ignored. Two in my tree were twins and one died after an accident, they are my aunts and uncles but my siblings never knew about them, destined to be forgotten children from a forgotten time until i ordered the certs.

If you can find an Monumental InscriptionI somewhere then that might influence your decision or help prove/disprove a match beforehand though.

Looking at the names and dates you mention it seems they are likely to be connected, a sad start to married life by the look of it, important events and something i firmly believe should be in a tree.
      Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 02-01-09, 09:35.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Jill and Glen

Death certs it is then.
        Vikki -

Comment

Yes, Vikki, I would agree. I have had to find out about 4 children born to my g grandparents. I sent for the death certs for all of them. I was in no doubt that they were the right ones; that they were of my family; and each one had an accurate age (eg. 1 month or 16 days) so I could work out when they were born. It does only say the father's name on the cert though.

Anne

Comment

I think you can be reasonably confident that they're twins because the birth refs are the same: 1c-160
            and so are the death refs: 1c-129

Twins are always likely to be vulnerable - and they won't have been less so in those days or that area, I'd say.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Death certs for children don't always say son or daughter of...........

They mostly do.

I have one for a 7 year old that the informant is someone I have never heard of. The parents were still alive too.

The burial register is more likely to say who the parents were.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                I think you can be reasonably confident that they're twins because the birth refs are the same: 1c-160
                and so are the death refs: 1c-129
                That didn't even occur to me (the references) I was slightly (ok Very :o) drunk when I was searching for these children, so thank you for reminding me about the references
                Vikki -

Comment

Thanks for the idea about the burial register, I'm not sure which church they attended (possibly baptist) so I will have to take a look at the possible burial grounds near to Shoreditch when I am next at the LMA
                  Vikki -

Comment

The only thing that the deaths won't tell you, which the births should tell you is which one was the oldest.

I would go with the deaths myself though,

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Working...
                    X