Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 1st January 2009 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 1st January 2009 is......

..........surprise, surprise!!

harryhayes

Hi harry,

Just add your brickwall to this thread!

Not read the instructions yet again. I'm not as dopey as the matron says I am. Will post in the morning.
    Your efforts are much appreciated.

Happy days

Comment

Good luck harryhayes, hope you have a successful week

Comment

Trying to trace Willm and Mary Hays (with variants) in an age of William and Mary's.
        Bishops transcripts Cheltenham (believe the church records are in a poor state) - a simple entry
        21.12.1803 William , son of Willm and Mary.

The next thing I know is that the younger William turns up in Kendal with a "shotgun" marriage to Mary Camm of Lancaster - 15/12/1832. Thomas (Hay) was born on the 21st July the following year. William had awarded himself a middle name of Arkley (later artley - which will be soundex).He soon dropped the middle name and became a Hayes.
        Thomas was the only one christened. Later children were Richard' Jane; Charles and James.
        I know all about William after 1832 but have to wait for the 1861 census to find he was born in Cheltenham. He and Thomas were gardeners in the lakes; Kirkdale; Warrington and finally Lancaster.
        I have found nothing concrete about Willm/Mary apart from the birth and nothing on William the child until 1832. Or any other children for that matter to the parents)
        Two possibilities (and probably others elsewhere) exist for the marriage, William Hey/ Mary Morgan, Bristol, 1801. This should be favourite but I don't rate it too highly William was a Wool stapler.
        The second marriage was William Hays/Mary Evans, Eastington, Gloucs, 1790.
        I would love to eliminate one or both of those.Where did Arkley come from - doesn,t appear to be in the family?

Lastly a red herring? Cheltenham Quarter sessions April 1832, a WH was fined for assaulting Wm Jennings ( there is a Hayes/Jennings connection in Eastington.)
        Was this my William and did he go to Lancaster in disgrace?
        Gloucester archives do not have anything other than the bare facts on the case (his antecedents would help). Any ideas on finding the actual file would be appreciated. Newspapers are the only other chance, but perhaps unlikely to be helpful.

Good hunting to anyone crazy enough to venture into this one.. Best wishes to all and thanks for the opportunity.
        Happy days

Comment

Hi Harry

Do you know who were the witnesses to William Hays and Mary Camm's wedding?
          Maybe they will shed some light on other senior family members which might help to confirm parents
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Vikky, thanks for the interest. There are loads of things I could have included in the initial message., but it's complicated enough.
            The witnesses were a Jane Edmunson (who appears most likely to be a friend) and a registrar. The certificate doesn,t give a father. Lack of family as witnesses is one of the reasons I believe he may have left Cheltenham in disgrace.

I think what I,m really after are eliminations - perhaps any deaths in Cheltenham, which might include ages ( or cemetery registers).

Having said that, they could just have been passing through Cheltenham.
            Woe is me.
            Best wishes Happy days

Comment

Have you considered that Arkley (or some variation) may have been William's original surname, and at some point his mother married a Hayes? William could have taken his new father's surname, but Arkley may point to his origins.

scuda
              Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thank you, Scuda. Can find no Arkley/ Hayes marriages or connections. Think there was an HMS Arkley; also a place called Arkley in the south of England (Have not been able to follow up the last two up properly)
                He obviously got it from somewhere and I guess he took it up to impress the girls - Wm Arkley Hayes sounds a lot better then Billy Hayes.
                I'm afraid it's a difficult one.

Best wshes

Comment

congratulaions harry,enjoy your busy week brenda xxx

Comment

Thank you Brenda for the thought. If it had been the other side of my family you could have helped me (Staffordshire).
                    Best wishes Happy days

Comment

This won't help much, but I can't see any children of William and Mary on the Bristol baptism indexes.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you for that - you are trying hard to help me. I have not been able to find other children anywhere, which is a big part of my problem.
                        The younger William only had the first of his children christened and I wonder if that is a family trait or custom I don,t know about.
                        His second son, born, in 1836 wasn,t christened. The other three, born after 1837, were merely registered.

Best wishes Happy days

Comment

Well, you don't know for sure that they weren't christened, do you, as they could have been christened somewhere but it could just be that the records aren't available?
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Cheers. You could be right but I have run myself dizzy looking. Pretty sure though about the children of the younger William.

Happy days

Comment

thankyou and you brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X