Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please - who is Mary Lewis?

Sorry to be longwinded

I've spent the last few days transcribing the will of Charles Hancock of Whitwell and its thrown up a couple of queries (one being where's all that money gone, but thats beside the point)

He leaves a number of bequests to his brothers and sisters, and to his nieces, most of whom I've found.

Two who are causing me difficulty are his niece Mary Lewis (probably her married name) and her daughter Mary Annie Lewis.

In 1851 there is a Mary Lewis abt 1834 Reading, Berkshire staying with Charles' sister Ann Shaw in Cuckney Nottinghamshire HO107; Piece: 2122; Folio: 625; Page: 23 and I think this will be his niece - but who's daughter is she? (it could be the niece's daughter of course)

I've found two sisters for Charles through IGI that aren't mentioned in Charles' Will - Susanna baptised 1793 Whitwell, Derbyshire and Mary baptised 1782 Whitwell, Derbyshire.

How do I work out if Mary Lewis is the daughter of Susanna or Mary? Have I missed something obvious:o

I also don't know where the main beneficiary and executrix, one Jane Vale Houghton, ties into the family - if at all.

Thanks in advance
    Barbara

You say ''main beneficiary and executrix''

Deaths Dec 1871

Houghton Jane Vale 45 Worksop 7b 16

Can anyone spot her in 1871?
    Jess

Comment

Thanks Jess

In 1851 she's in the household of Charles Hancock described as neice. abt 1827 London England if that helps HO107; Piece: 2122; Folio: 509; Page: 26

1871 : RG10; Piece: 3458; Folio: 38; Page: 5;. She's listed as Jane V Houghton, Visitor in the household of Henry Shaw
      Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 01-01-09, 20:01. Reason: added
      Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
        I also don't know where the main beneficiary and executrix, one Jane Vale Houghton, ties into the family - if at all.
        Isn't that a bit dodgy?
        Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

1871 Mary Lewis b 1834 is with OH John Coupe and Unmar mother Mary Lewis b 1815 Reading - Annuitant. in Cuckney

: RG10; Piece: 3463; Folio: 135; Page: 10; GSU roll: 839423.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks Kat, that makes sense.

For info: The will is dated 1857, and Mary Lewis was left £800 for her sole use, while Mary Annie Lewis was left £200 for her sole use - so she would have had sufficient money to be an annuitant.
            Barbara

Comment

1861 Mary Lewis b 1816 again with daughter Mary A and SIL John Coupe.( a Carter) Is Unmarried not an Annuitant here.

RG9; Piece: 2422; Folio: 101; Page: 18;

Says Mary A Coupe b St Mary Landon, Middx ?? but reading on 1851 and 1871
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-01-09, 20:27.
              Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                1861 Mary Lewis b 1816 again with daughter Mary A and SIL John Coupe.( a Carter) Is Unmarried not an Annuitant here.

RG9; Piece: 2422; Folio: 101; Page: 18;

perhaps she'd spent all the money by then
                Barbara

Comment

So you are looking for a sister of Charles OR HIS WIFE who married a Lewis.

What was Charles' Wife name?
                  Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
                    perhaps she'd spent all the money by then
                    probably the money didn't come thro to them until after 1861 as Mary was annuitant in 1871
                    Kat

Comment

1861 RG9; Piece: 2418; Folio: 22; Page: 3;

Jane Houghton in Worksop on her own with Servant as fund holder

1851 HO107; Piece: 2122; Folio: 509; Page: 26; GSU born London 1827
                      niece of Charles Hancock

HO107; Piece 196; Book: 10; Civil Parish: Whitwell; County: Derbyshire; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 6; Page: 7; Line: 22; GSU roll: 241298.

listed as female Servant with Charles Hancock.. farmer
                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-01-09, 20:59.
                      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                        So you are looking for a sister of Charles OR HIS WIFE who married a Lewis.

What was Charles' Wife name?

erm - I don't know:o There were no children living when he made his will so I didn't even think to look.

I can't make out on the 1851 if he's a widower or unmarried. Can you?

As I hadn't thought about him being married I hadn't considered that either Mary Lewis or Jane Vale Houghton could be his WIFE's relatives:o:o
                        Barbara

Comment

the unmarrieds on page are all U so it looks like he was Mar or Wid. Difficult to see with that B***** great cross over it:D

I suppose they could be great nieces??
                          Kat

Comment

they could be of course, but the married nieces who are mentioned are all under their married surnames - of Webster, Beard, and Glossop, and the unmarried one is named as Sarah Hancock (daughter of Robert)

I can't see a likely marriage for Charles on the IGI:(

Now if you could just remove that little cross for me???
                            Barbara

Comment

There are only two that I can see. Mary Unwin 25/12/1820 Chesterfield but gives his birth c1775 Chesterfield...very doubtful then.
                              Elizabeth Harwood 22/2/1835 All Saints' Derby. No DOB for either bride or groom but he could have married later in life and she die before 1841.
                              Worth a visit to RO, remember most likely they would have married in her parish. Record would maybe say his parish at time of marriage.
                              Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat

I'll have to get down to Matlock to sort this one out as well then.

Do you think they'll let me take the whole of the Whitwell PR's away with me:D as thats about what i need to study across all OH's various lines
                                Barbara

Comment

Good luck lol
                                  Kat

Comment

Thanks
                                    Barbara

Comment

Working...
                                    X