Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abraham Watts - can anyone find him, please, on the 1901 census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abraham Watts - can anyone find him, please, on the 1901 census?

These are the facts that I know about him:

Birth registered Abram John F Watts March qr 1893 Marylebone District.
    Married Minnie Harrison 7th June 1919 Vauxhall (registered Lambeth District)
    Death registered June qr 1929 Abraham J F Watts Lambeth District

He died of TB.

He was awarded The Military Medal 3 October 1918:
    'From Headquarters, Fourth Army To No 700446 Private F J Watts, London Regiment, attached French Mortar Battery
    I congratulate you on the gallantry and devotion to duty for which you have been awarded The Military Medal. General Sir H S Rawlinson, Commanding Fourth Army.'

In memory card:
    Frank John Watts
    died June 1st 1929
    aged 36
    interred at Lambeth Cemetery
    Last edited by Joy Dean; 01-01-09, 17:53.
    Joy

Joy

Where do you want to find him?

Comment

Oops, sorry, I left out the words 1901 census and went back and edited.
      :o
      Joy

Comment

do you know his parents names?

Comment

There is a medal card on TNA with name recorded as Frank John Watts

Medal card of Watts, Frank John
          Corps: London Regiment
          Regiment No: 700446

I wonder if this could be him in the 1901 census
          RG13; Piece: 1308; Folio: 21; Page: 33.
          Recorded as Frank Watts, born 1893 NK London
          Elaine

Comment

No, I don't know his parents' names.

He is the father of a cousin of my Dad's. Sorry, that sounds complicated.
            And I think I remember Dad's cousin (now aged 88) saying that he didn't know much about his father's family.

Yes, that is certainly his regimental number.

I think I looked at that Frank, and wondered about him, and then wondered why he wasn't being called Abraham if it was him and oh how frustrating if it were to be him because I think, from memory, it said he was a visitor; just off to check it out again.

Thanks.
            Joy

Comment

Can´t see anything else. I think you might need to get his birth certificate.
              Elaine

Comment

The medal card is also on Ancestry. No address on the reverse, I'm afraid. It gives an earlier number, too, in case you come across it: 2370.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Or is it worth waiting until Ancestry gets the rest of the service records up and online? His might be there?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've had a quick look to see if "visitor" might be an understatement, but I can't see any immediate links between that family and the name WATTS.

The head was Ernest Benjamin CROFT, married to Emily née CHALKLEY. I haven't been able to join either name to WATTS in a useful time-frame.

Christine

Comment

Thank you for looking.

I just might have to get his certificate, just from curiosity because I want to know more.

No, I couldn't see a link either.

Silly the things one thinks; I thought, oh we used to have a post lady called Sybil Chalkley. Now if I ever see her again, I'll think of the Croft couple!

Thank you for the other regimental number.
                      Joy

Comment

I dont know if this is a lead or not but on FreeBMD there's an Abram Watts marriage in 1892 in Marylebone.

Now here's the speculation....

If he was the first child then I've found that quite often the name of the first boy is either the same as the father or grandfather. Also generally I've found the parent's marriage to be a year before the birth of the first child. Now given all this, Abram could be the father and either Susannah Whale or Hannah Read the mother as they're on the same marriage page.

As I say, purely speculation on my part.
                        Hail Spode!

Comment

That seems like a reasonable theory, Guy. Well worth a look, I'd say!

Christine

Comment

Thank you. I hadn't seen him before - maybe because free BMD was updated today and he hadn't been there, or maybe he had been there but I had only been looking before for an Abraham.

Methinks that I shall have to send for the birth certificate for young Abram born 1893.

Something that I hadn't mentioned before, in case they were red herrings, so to speak - I have the Bible that belonged to him (that is, F Watts, as it is written inside); inside are these names and dates:
                            J am (I think) Watts April 17th
                            Hannah " Dec 29th
                            Frank Watts Jan 24th.
                            Joy

Comment

Working...
                            X